Talk

Advanced search

Why doesn't my name change work? It's giving me issues!

(28 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 20-Nov-14 19:55:03

Ok, so on the ipad I change my username in the username box. Then I type my post and hit create conversation. The post then comes up in my normal name.

Fortunately this time I had the common sense to test it before posting this time round. even if I didn't entirely use my common sense but last time I ended up posting something sensitive and it wasn't nice.

HipHopHorse Thu 20-Nov-14 19:57:04

Are you using a name you've alreqdy created in your account details? Or just making one up on the spot?

Nervo Thu 20-Nov-14 19:58:19

Took me ages to figure it out. Was very frustrating.

HipHopHorse Thu 20-Nov-14 19:59:57

It works for me on the tablet.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 20-Nov-14 20:00:54

I am hip hop.

youknowmebutImbeingtactful Thu 20-Nov-14 20:01:20

Trying again.

WinterGloves Thu 20-Nov-14 20:02:33

I have to go via the desktop site to do anything to my profile or account. The mobile site just refuses to acknowledge any changes I make.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 20-Nov-14 20:02:49

Oh, but it worked this time. So I can sockpuppet myself but not start a thread with a different name?

Well that's going to take some ingenuity to get a private question asked isn't it!!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 20-Nov-14 20:04:06

Sorry hiphop. Didn't answer your question. I'm using a name I've already used before.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 20-Nov-14 20:04:56

It's on the desktop site.

Will try another making another thread but in site stuff....

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 20-Nov-14 20:07:27

nope didn't work

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 21-Nov-14 08:26:52

Bumping for mn to see, if this isn't just me it could cause some real upset.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Nov-14 10:39:16

Morning BadKitten,

Sorry if things aren't working properly for you. Can we just check the facts before we ask our Tech folk to take a look?

So, what you're saying is: you're using the desktop site on a tablet. When you name-change within a thread it works, but when you try to start a new thread with a different name, it reverts to your old username.

Have we got it straight?

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 21-Nov-14 10:42:42

Fab summary - exactly that! smile

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Nov-14 11:15:26

Right, we're on it! grin

Bear with us. Will report back asap.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 21-Nov-14 11:20:10

Thank you! smile

BlackeyedSusan Sat 22-Nov-14 21:53:21

I had namechange problems last week. could not name change back to my usual name. went with a variation for a few days until I tried again and it worked.

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 23-Nov-14 03:23:38

dawn. I just tried it too. Same thing for me.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 23-Nov-14 10:08:56

Hi again,

We're really sorry this is taking a wee while to resolve. flowers

We'll give Tech another nudge and report back soon.

One more thing to check - is anyone having this problem on anything other than an iPad?

RustyBear Sun 23-Nov-14 10:13:28

Just checking - changing back to RustyBear from RustyDalek on iPad ios7...

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 23-Nov-14 10:18:15

I'll fire up the laptop and let you know.

Don't hold your breath though, it takes a fair bit of steam to get any co-operation out of the dear old thing!!

grin

ChillingGrinBloodLover Sun 23-Nov-14 10:33:39

Chipping or Chilling here grin

Yes, it's doing the same on my laptop running chrome.

I can check on IE if necessary.

It changed it just fine if I did it the 'old way'.

Also Dawn, while you have Tech looking at it, could you please ask if it's possible for it to work the way it does when you do it the old way, so once you start typing the name it comes up. It will stop a lot of little mistakes being frustrating...and possibly not name changing?!

...and if I was being very very cheeky, could you ask Tech if both could work the way they used to, with a drop box smile

wine brew cake biscuit
x

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 23-Nov-14 10:57:03

Hi Chipping,

Thanks for all your efforts, much appreciated. smile Though it's not good to hear this problem is happening on the desktop site too.

Two more questions for you!

1. Can you just explain exactly what you mean by the old way?

2. When you say 'once you start typing the name it comes up', you mean the predictive text thing is no longer happening, yes?

Will ask Tech about the drop-box thing, too. They're going to love me!

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 23-Nov-14 11:00:56

Going into My Account and changing it, rather than changing it on the bit where you post. (You do know the ability to do that has been added recently don't you?!).

Yes, I mean the predictive text isn't happening smile

Tell them they can have a day off next month smile christmas day wink

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 23-Nov-14 11:03:49

The predictive text isn't happening on the posting screen at all.

It's not happening in the My Account bit either unless you have used the name since it has been changed. For example ChippingInAutumnLover and ChillingGrinBloodLover are drop boxing (and I think predictive too) but none of my other names such as ChippingInLovesChristmasLights (or whatever is on my other list).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now