Talk

Advanced search

****************TRIGGER******************

(52 Posts)
Maryz Thu 09-Oct-14 23:23:37

Is every thread now going to have it's title amended to include the word Trigger?

What does it even mean? Lots of threads can remind some posters of traumatic events, whether it's death, miscarriage, rape or even spiders confused

We are all adults. Surely the site should be like reading a newspaper - if you see an article you don't want to read, then you skip past it (or hide it).

The adding TRIGGER to titles is getting a bit ridiculous.

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Thu 09-Oct-14 23:25:51

Anything can be a "trigger" to someone somewhere.

I totally agree with you. If it upsets you (and a hell of a lot upsets me) hide it!

Maryz Thu 09-Oct-14 23:27:28

Yes, exactly.

I've been on a thread for three days, and all of a sudden the title has been changed to include the word.

I don't see the point confused

HoldenMcGroin Thu 09-Oct-14 23:29:13

No nor me. Am puzzled.

TooMuchCantBreath Thu 09-Oct-14 23:31:23

Actually I agree. I lost it when the op writing about her cat who'd given birth to a dead kitten was told off for using the word stillborn - to describe the stillborn kitten - and made to edit her title! I get that bad things happen and reminders are upsetting but the site does seem to be going a bit too far now.

Since the kitten thread I've noticed several threads where posters have spoken about traumatic events only to be told they need to change their title to include a trigger warning for others (which implies that they have been insensitive to people who have been through exactly the same traumatic event the poster is struggling with). However nicely it's done it's really not on.

TheBogQueen Thu 09-Oct-14 23:32:14

This is by far the nicest Trigger

TheBogQueen Thu 09-Oct-14 23:34:02

Perhaps each thread should have a warning photo like this:

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Thu 09-Oct-14 23:34:24

I think I shall ask that all the threads about poorly animals include the "trigger" warning as I adore animals and I get upset reading things like that.

And before anyone starts - as a rape survivor I do understand about "more important things".

BoredPanda Thu 09-Oct-14 23:35:30

I do see the sense in adding trigger in some cases...but even then, how will *TRIGGER*** help? You could be triggered by rape or domestic violence or spiders or life limiting illnesses or reports about a bomb or a thread on Syria. *TRIGGER*** doesn't help you at all. If MNHQ edited a title, maybe something like *TRIGGER(rape)*** would be useful, but that word can be triggering in itself. Everything can be triggering to someone. Hearing about a baby being born could trigger you if you had a traumatic birth or had a stillborn child, hearing about a dog could trigger you if you're child or you or someone else you knew had been attacked by a dog or you'd witnessed a dog attack, it could be ANYTHING.

Maryz Thu 09-Oct-14 23:37:51

I just think that over-using it is counter-productive.

If necessary, make titles more descriptive. For example "AIBU to be cross about this - rape related" or "AIBU to be cross about this - spiders" rather than adding the word TRIGGER randomly to the thread

MrsWembley Thu 09-Oct-14 23:37:55

Not been around for a while, Mary - what's been occurring? Are MNHQ getting a bit sensitive?

Just happened to catch a bit of a thread about Samaritan's Purse and some sort of threatened legal action against a poster where MNHQ were backing down. And now this? I thought she-who-must-not-be-mentioned was the only one to scare Justine et al?

Maryz Thu 09-Oct-14 23:40:03

I like your photos bogqueen - they should definitely be "triggered" grin

Exactly Panda.

Should every POAS thread be labelled "trigger" for those ttc, or every thread about terminal illness be labelled "trigger" for those who are sadly coping with it.

I can't see any logic to it all confused

Maryz Thu 09-Oct-14 23:41:40

Sorry MrsW - this isn't anything to do with SP. Their legal dept is happily shooting themselves in the foot while trying to make lots of people feel shit.

This is another kettle of fish altogether.

Apparently we all need warnings before we read anything. But the warnings are so unclear that unless you read it you don't know what you are being warned about [clear as mud emoticon]

60sname Thu 09-Oct-14 23:43:04

Agree - it does seem rather illogical not to mention being really irritating

Pipbin Thu 09-Oct-14 23:50:30

I have been TTCing for 3 years now and have had 2 failed ivf cycles. Can I request a trigger warning before any threads mentioning babies or pregnancy please.

Maryz Thu 09-Oct-14 23:55:53

I'm sorry Pipbin flowers

The reason I mentioned ttc is that when I was in the middle of infertility treatment I hated reading about pregnancy. But, like you, I didn't actually expect a random "Trigger" everywhere.

I dunno, maybe I'm just getting intolerant in my old age.

MrsWembley Thu 09-Oct-14 23:55:55

Oh no, I realise that this isn't directly linked to the SP stuff but it is looking increasingly like MN are acting in a more fearful way, making sure no-one can be professionally offended.

EugenesAxe Fri 10-Oct-14 06:43:58

Maybe we could start an underground movement and post as follows:

AIBU to ask MIL not to neuter the cat??? * * * * Del Boy * * * *

Do these characteristics sound as if my new BF could actually be an otter? * * * * Cassandra * * * *

(To pinch a Sunday Sport classic):
I gave birth to an 8lb trout * * * * Uncle Albert * * * *

<Personal disclaimer>
I started sniggering at the OFAH comment as I'd also thought it and then it got a bit out of hand in my brain. Genuinely, I'm not posting this because I have disdain for people that are 'triggered'.

Stripylikeatiger Fri 10-Oct-14 07:25:33

I think thread titles just need to be clearer in general, so for example a thread titled "aibu to be upset about this?" Could be anything from a Christmas dinner dilemma to child abuse to someone not liking a photo on Facebook.

If everyone tried to make sure that their title was clear then we as adults could decide if we wanted to read and reply to a thread about Facebook/abortion/Christmas/rape/stillborn kittens, there would be no need for mnhq or other mumsneters to police people's posts.

Thumbwitch Fri 10-Oct-14 07:30:13

I can understand why they do amend titles, but after 3 days? Bit fucking late then, eh? Plenty of posters will have had the time to be "triggered" by then.

I do think it's useful, and can see why they use it rather than being more specific in the titles, which could then crop up in Active convos and upset people just reading the title.

Surely people likely to be triggered by threads about ttc miscarriage etc can hide the appropriate boards? And this then comes back to people posting their threads in the appropriate areas, so that one doesn't open a random thread in chat and discover that it's about some poor child being murdered, or gang rape or something that they'd have no clue about from the thread title/position.

TooMuchCantBreath Fri 10-Oct-14 07:55:04

It's no good having clear titles though because then the title becomes triggering in itself. I find it odd that we, as adults, are considered unreasonable if we object to seeing "my bf is an utter cuntpig wankbadger" because adults should learn to cope with swearing - even if they personally find it offensive (which I agree with) then those same adults suddenly have to be babied through the risks of having suffered trauma and possibly coming across someone talking about similar things on an open site .

When did hq change the rules?!

GilesGirl Fri 10-Oct-14 07:58:12

It's actually been proven, or so I read somewhere or another, that 'trigger' warnings can actually be triggering.

So stoppit, Mumsnet.

southeastastra Fri 10-Oct-14 08:04:39

if you put 'trigger' before every thread about pregnancy and babies on here mn would just look silly

i did find it a bit silly when someone wanted 'loofah' instead of spiders a while back, it's just a bit daft innit? i personally don't like certain words but can live with seeing them occasionally.

southeastastra Fri 10-Oct-14 08:05:27

TRIGGER this post contains cute babies

Methe Fri 10-Oct-14 08:14:02

If you don't want to read threads about ttc, pregnancy, birth, or babies (as an example) surely you just hide the relevant areas on here?

trigger** means absolutely nothing and does nothing but infantalise us all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now