Talk

Advanced search

Right, did MN use my picture (without my permission) or not?

(17 Posts)
DaleyBump Thu 20-Mar-14 21:21:17

I have been told on another thread that a picture of mine (that I posted on the thread) has been used in the talk round-up. I haven't received the round-up so I doubt very much that it's true but I wanted to ask.

bluepen Thu 20-Mar-14 21:28:55

That's a point actually. Mumsnet must own any pictures posted. So can do what they like with them? Even pass them on to whoever they want?
And media publications can do what they want with them too?

Feenie Thu 20-Mar-14 21:31:51

Are you kidding? You published a picture on a public forum - MN don't need your permission.

DaleyBump Thu 20-Mar-14 21:59:53

It doesn't bother me, I wouldn't have shared it if it did. I was just wondering.

titchy Thu 20-Mar-14 22:03:19

MN own the copyright on posts. Presumably that includes images as well as text.

GiniCooper Thu 20-Mar-14 22:03:41

I could share your image, public forum and all.
Don't know what you've posted but it's a good conversation if people post here not knowing EVERYONE can see you...

CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Mar-14 22:18:10

Hi OP, could you drop us an email at contactus@mumsnet.com with details of your picture?

Catsmamma Thu 20-Mar-14 22:25:27

copyright remains with the owner of the photo, but usually posting them "gives permission" for use within the site or for promotion of the site

is the gist I think.

LineRunner Thu 20-Mar-14 22:27:26

If you post a picture on the internet surely anyone can copy it?

HerrenaHarridan Thu 20-Mar-14 22:29:27

Catherine, while this is being discussed could you clarify what mn policy re photos is. I haven't shared any as yet (being an app user..hint hint) but I would really like to know for future ref.

Thanks

DaleyBump Thu 20-Mar-14 22:57:47

Never mind Catherine, another poster asked the same question about my picture and was replied to. Thanks smile

I know they could use it, I wouldn't have posted my picture if I didn't want people seeing it, I just wanted to clear up a discussion.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Mar-14 09:30:25

Hello Daley - we did use a pic of the man holding the 3D model of himself in ASDA in the Talk Roundup last week, but we don't think that one was yours. Which image of yours was it you thought we'd used?

Anything that's posted on MN is is shared use in copyright terms (ie we have copyright but so do you).

So if you will go around posting up brilliant photos, you do run the risk of us re-using them <smarm>

Obviously we'd try to be careful and not share images that are going to 'out' MNers in RL or anything that seems really personal.

Not sure what you mean about MN policy re photos Horatia - copyright stuff, or the sorts of things we will and won't allow?

HerrenaHarridan Sat 22-Mar-14 20:23:01

Horatio? sad

Both, although I can probably guess about what you won't allow, so I more mean policy in terms of reuse but you pretty much just answered my question if I can rephrase to be clear

Mn reserve the right to reuse a pic posted if they see fit, without contacting the poster first

Mn will try to be sensitive about picture reuse smile

CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 22-Mar-14 20:33:34

Hi Herrena, it's effectively shared copy-write - so you own the content you post but so do MN as it's posted on the site. We hope that helps?

HerrenaHarridan Sat 22-Mar-14 20:41:03

Yep that's grand I just wanted to understand as it will form how I use it (when we get it for the app! wink)

IamtheZombie Sat 22-Mar-14 20:53:11

Catherine, Zombie is having a bit of difficulty finding info on shared copyright.

Is it simply because the MN T&Cs advise that MN may make use of anything posted that you claim shared copyright?

IamtheZombie Sat 22-Mar-14 20:58:05

Actually, Zombie has just re-checked the T&Cs. What they provide for is that by posting on here, the poster is granting MN a license to use the post. MN don't actually acquire any copyright over the posts, just the licensed right to use them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now