Talk

Advanced search

Linking threads on here to FB - should MN check first with the OP?

(7 Posts)
HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 13:14:04

Started a thread in AIBU about this.

If MN decide to actively promote a thread on FB or other social media, should they check with the OP first?

I think there is a difference between a passive thread on Chat where people have to dig it out and a thread actively publicised.

I do not think it would take much effort to see if the OP wanted publicity - even though I do know the terms and conditions of the site.

Especially if they go to the effort of designing a graphic for FB as well.

HoratiaDrelincourt Fri 07-Feb-14 13:46:18

Marking place. I posted on the other thread.

FWIW I recognise that MNHQ can do whatever they like with anything we post, even in OTBT, but I agree that it might be courteous to notify the OP that their thread has been promoted.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 07-Feb-14 14:26:30

Hello

We're sorry you've been upset by this Holly. We don't use social media to link to sensitive stuff; we just thought this thread was genuinely interesting, and in no way personal or revealing. But we've zapped the Facebook post for you now.

HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 15:25:06

Thanks - it's more to do with my other posts and stuff I've said there. I should have used a different username.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 07-Feb-14 16:14:17

Of course, no problem.

(FWIW, I found the maths q UTTERLY baffling, and I have a Grade B 'O' Level <puffs out chest>)

HoratiaDrelincourt Fri 07-Feb-14 16:44:23

Rowan, could you possibly give us a clue how threads are chosen? I know TSSDNCOP but is it sort of "Rowan it's your turn to choose something for FB today." "Er, ok, this looks mildly interesting, isn't a bunfight yet and doesn't appear to be particularly identifying" ...?

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Feb-14 10:44:16

HoratiaDrelincourt

Rowan, could you possibly give us a clue how threads are chosen? I know TSSDNCOP but is it sort of "Rowan it's your turn to choose something for FB today." "Er, ok, this looks mildly interesting, isn't a bunfight yet and doesn't appear to be particularly identifying" ...?

We tend to share things that are zeitgeisty (the thread on the pope's remarks on breastfeeding, for example) or intriguing, or just plain funny (we made a guide to PFB parenting this week, which we shared on FB) - basically stuff that's generally likely to be of interest to a wide audience. And we give a wide berth to anything that feels sensitive or too personal.

Hope that makes sense; do shout if you think we're getting it wrong, or indeed if you think we're getting it right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now