Talk

Advanced search

White space

(26 Posts)
Jux Tue 04-Feb-14 00:08:40

When did that happen? It's horrible! I do realise that you have to have space for ads, and I'm just objecting to change, probably because I'm an old gimmer.

Why though? There are no ads in the white space so why have it all the way down the page, instead of the posts just filling in under the ads on the right, like they used to?

Don't change my Mumsnet waaaaaaagh! wink[gin]

differentnameforthis Tue 04-Feb-14 05:43:48

Yes, I just noticed this too. I don't like it either.

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 04-Feb-14 15:43:22

White Space would be a great name for an art gallery. But that's beside the point - could you ping us a link to where you're seeing this space?

Jux Tue 04-Feb-14 16:08:33

Can't remember how to ping-a-link (sounds like the title to a mildly effete song!) but here's a normal link: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1986978-What-is-your-favourite-piece-of-classical-music?

It's every thread except for v short ones like this one. All the threads start the same width, with Discussions of the Day and that sort of thing on the right, making the thread width shorter. After all the MN stuff on the right - ie, after Find your Local Site - the thread posts would then fill the full width of the page. Now they don't, but stay narrow. Every thread which is longer than the MN stuff on the right stays narrow, with just white space next to it, all the way down the page.

Does that make sense?

NymodigFruOla Tue 04-Feb-14 17:19:50

I wasn't sure what you meant to begin with, Jux. But I've taken two screenshots from the thread you've used as an example - using my bottom, right hand date/clock as a point of reference on my screen (desktop).

Is this what you mean? In which case I can see what you're getting at.

Jux Tue 04-Feb-14 22:45:59

Yes, Nymodig, like that! Except that I don't have the calendar there!

Kate, any thread, once you've scrolled below the MN stuff, used to then have the posts spread right across the whole width. Now they don't. It's a bit irritating as it does make every page a heck of a lot longer, and if you're trying to scroll to the bottom - as I often am - it just takes longer and makes my fingers ache (am generally on iPad/Safari, but couldn't post a pic, so this moment I am on pc/Firefox. Not that it makes any difference. The chi-chi gallery White Space is still there!).

alcibiades Wed 05-Feb-14 21:38:41

I noticed that as well. I thought it was just a change to MN, and that I'd just get used to it (as I have before). It didn't occur to me that it would be a problem for people using different platforms - I use my laptop only. But I can understand that longer pages, because of shorter width, seems to be contrary to the splitting of long threads into two at 500 posts to assist people using devices with smaller screens.

However, I wonder whether it's a conflict between MN software and device software. The reason for wondering that is because I use Firefox on my laptop, and I check out some Twitter accounts. What I've noticed over the last couple of days is that the time of tweets used to be on the far right of the entries, but now is next to the @ thingy - a kind of squishing up which seems to be similar to the MN display.

So, it could be an MN thing, it could be a Twitter thing, it could be an app thing, it could be a Firefox thing. Or any combination of any of those. And quite possibly something else.

When I was younger, I wanted to work on techy things. Now, thank goodness, I don't - I'm not sure I could afford the gin. wink

I've just noticed this too. It definitely used to go across the full width of the screen after the ads/other stuff in the sidebar like local, twitter etc finished. I remember because if someone happened to post a really long post starting just before the end it looked odd. But now it's the shorter width all the way down to the bottom of the thread.

I'm on Windows XP (so retro wink) and Chrome.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 06-Feb-14 16:21:58

Thanks for flagging - we do see what you mean. We'll get Tech to take a look.

differentnameforthis Mon 17-Feb-14 10:30:59

What's happening with this, MN?

AmyMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Feb-14 17:29:25

Are you still seeing it? (Guessing the answer is yes if you've taken the time to post!).

We'll give tech another nudge about it.

NymodigFruOla Mon 17-Feb-14 18:05:21

Yes, take a look at this. I'm on a desktop and my screen shot shows my calender in the bottom right hand corner, to give you a point of reference.

I'm still seeing it too.

And this thread is now long enough to prove it grin

Jux Mon 17-Feb-14 19:40:31

Yep. Still there, and yep, thread is long enough now!

DinoSnores Tue 18-Feb-14 11:51:26

I had noticed it but I much prefer it as I don't need to zoom in and out if I am reading on my tablet or MNing in one window and, say, watching, something on another window on my laptop.

I much prefer it how it is now with the thread the same width throughout.

Oh that's true dino, it would save zooming on a tablet. Hmm.

Cantabile Tue 18-Feb-14 12:49:22

Dino, Bertie, zooming on a tablet? I use an iPad and haven't zoomed for MN. I am curious, not arguing btw.

Amy/Rowan, if it's better for people then OK. It's not a massive big deal for me, it just seemed a waste and was a bit annoying.

And I wondered why it had changed, what purpose it served. Seems like it's just a side effect of something else (wonder what!).

It's more of an issue on my phone but the tablet cuts off text awkwardly if I use it portrait way up.

Jux Wed 19-Feb-14 09:59:23

Jux Wed 19-Feb-14 10:00:45

I use an iPad and I almost always have it turned on its side. I think that explains zooming/non-zooming wink

Sometimes it's just more comfortable to hold it that way grin I have one of the ones that plugs into a keyboard/stand thing so if it's plugged in then it's landscape, if not, it's a giant phone.

NymodigFruOla Fri 21-Feb-14 16:39:39

Seems to be OK now?

Ooh yes smile Back to normal.

Jux Fri 21-Feb-14 19:41:39

Yes, all well again. Thanks Tech thanks[gin]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now