Advanced search

Higher education?

(8 Posts)
DrDolittle Tue 18-Jun-13 23:34:47

Why is there no "higher education" section, forcing those that want to discuss university education to post in "further education", which has nothing to do with universities?

From Wikipedia:
"Further education (often abbreviated FE; called continuing education in U.S. English) is a term mainly used in connection with education in the United Kingdom and Ireland. It is post-compulsory education (in addition to that received at secondary school), that is distinct from the education offered in universities (higher education). It may be at any level above compulsory secondary education, from basic skills training to higher vocational education such as; City and Guilds, Higher National Diploma or Foundation Degree."

exoticfruits Wed 19-Jun-13 07:35:46

Universities are part if further education- I wouldn't believe all you read in Wikipedia. Anything over 18yrs has to be further education- they are not stopping education in university- they are taking it 'further'!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 19-Jun-13 12:45:03

Hello. And, yes, this is something we've been meaning to fix for a while - thanks for the nudge!

exoticfruits, you're not quite right, actually - although we do see what you're getting at.

Here is the government's definition of further education:

"Further education (FE) includes any study after secondary education that's not part of higher education (that is, not taken as part of an undergraduate or graduate degree). Courses range from basic English and maths to Higher National Diplomas (HNDs)."

DrDolittle Wed 19-Jun-13 12:54:47

Well I work for a university, so I know the sector fairly well. My employer is most definitely not working in the FE sector. For example, we are governed by a government quango called HEFCE, which stands for "Higher Education Funding Council for England" (there is an equivalent for Scotland, also with "Higher Education" in the name). There used to be a Further Education Funding Council for England (FEFC), which was abolished and turned into the Learning and Skills Council (LSC).

And then there are the ex-poly's, that used to operate in the FE sector, which are now universities - even they call themselves Higher Education institutes.

You could also look up the definitions in the Oxford English, if you wish:
"Definition of further education
[mass noun] British
education below degree level for people above school age"

"Definition of higher education
[mass noun]
education at universities or similar educational establishments, especially to degree level."

On this occasion, despite its reputation, Wikipedia is pretty accurate!

It just seemed strange to not have a section dedicated to university education, when there are so many others.

DrDolittle Wed 19-Jun-13 13:28:35

Thanks Helen. It was just an idle question, as I never bothered looking at the FE section until recently, as I didn't realise I should!

exoticfruits Wed 19-Jun-13 17:11:34

I stand corrected- I was quite happy with it as it was. If you are changing it perhaps you could section it further. I noticed a while ago, after it had happened, that there was a special thing you did on apprenticeships. Perhaps they could have more prominence? They seem to me to be a thing to encourage as tuition fees become so high.
MNetters seem obsessed with Oxbridge or RG universities and on the law of averages many MNetters must want alternatives. Career advice is woefully lacking in UK.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Jun-13 12:00:28


Thanks Helen. It was just an idle question, as I never bothered looking at the FE section until recently, as I didn't realise I should!

This is done now. smile

DrDolittle Fri 21-Jun-13 23:09:04

Wow - wasn't expecting that :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now