Talk

Advanced search

Post here to alow discussion in line with the legal requests made on MN

(30 Posts)
Blandmum Thu 25-May-06 19:13:58

If you want to continue to discus the persons methods in line with the requests made by her lawyers post here please

LucyJones Thu 25-May-06 19:15:45

I think we should still be aloowed to discuss her books and methods as this is a parenting site. It would be very hard for newbies to understand that why they could discuss one 'guru' and not another

LucyJones Thu 25-May-06 19:16:17

god, I can't spell allow either!!!

ja9 Thu 25-May-06 19:18:53

don't know anything about the requests made by her lawyers, but def think we should still be able to discuss her books etc. i found her books v v v helpful and this is a parenting site after all...

SaintGeorge Thu 25-May-06 19:24:59

Message deleted

ja9 Thu 25-May-06 19:31:13

thanks for that SG.

leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, but my original vote still stands!

LucyJones Thu 25-May-06 19:31:44

and mine

SaintGeorge Thu 25-May-06 19:34:53

Do you not think they would turn into one-sided discussions with everyone agreeing with each other? No one who had any problems with her books/methods would be able to post.

LucyJones Thu 25-May-06 19:36:02

I still think it is okay to criticise her methods but not her personality etc on this site. Criticism doesn't need to be so vitrolic and disparaging

LucyJones Thu 25-May-06 19:38:03

It says they want Mumsnet to "delete any postings which are derogatory and/or defamatory of Gina Ford." - of her, not her books/methods etc

SaintGeorge Thu 25-May-06 19:40:30

Think you will find that for most people - including the person in question - they are part and parcel of the same.

LucyJones Thu 25-May-06 19:42:14

It's those kind of assumptions that cuse problems and will put off new people discussing differing parenting styles

FillyjonktheSnibbet Thu 25-May-06 19:42:57

I want to be able to discuss her methods.

But I also want to be able to discuss whether she has sufficient experience to give weight to these methods. I think its always necessary to know where advice comes from.

No real interest in slaging her off. never met the woman.

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 19:46:49

I agree 100%, SG.

I don't think people realise how very serious this is.

People this can result in CLOSURE OF THIS SITE. Particularly in respect of any damages she may be rewarded.

Ms Ford already has a site on which people can discuss her books in a matter the former finds satisfactory.

Is this WORTH further offending her and endangering the entire site if she finds displeasure w/a particular post or thread?

Not to mention her demand that HQ patrol for posts about her every day!

Do people realise how much work this is for MN? Or even appreciate how much effort goes into this site.

For these reasons, I feel a total ban on all mention of her name is in order. 'for legal reasons'.

The internet is huge. People can go elsewhere to discuss her and risk incurring her wrath.

LucyJones Thu 25-May-06 19:53:06

but Expat even Justine doesn't want a complete ban!! How would it be enforced anyway?

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 19:55:59

Perhaps she's changed her mind now, Lucy, considering what may happen to MN b/c of GF 'discussions'.

There are plenty of ways to enforce it. And there's also the help of members and the new '!' function.

LucyJones Thu 25-May-06 20:03:16

good point. I think at the end of the day we should leave it up to Mumsnet Towers to decide.

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 20:04:56

It's a real shame, but this situation could be very, very grave indeed.

LadySherlockofLGJ Thu 25-May-06 20:06:56

Where is the National Press when you need them ?

FillyjonktheSnibbet Thu 25-May-06 20:10:14

yes, why hasn't it been picked up? its actually quite strange, that.

Rhubarb Thu 25-May-06 20:13:51

Will The Guardian also have to adhere to the same rules since they have had some very inflammatory posts on their own website discussion board re: GF. (No, not allowed to do a link so find it yerself!)

Rhubarb Thu 25-May-06 20:17:51

How much in legal costs are we talking about here? If MN get taken to court.
What happens then if MN cannot go to court or get legal advice, how do you sue someone who is non-compliant? Does the court find you guilty anyway? Does it get to court?
(Must read up in my old law books!)

Caligula Thu 25-May-06 20:24:26

Are we not allowed to link to other sites now then? Even a national site like the Guardian? What's the legal status of that then?

SenoraPostrophe Thu 25-May-06 20:25:26

Actually I'm pretty sure she can't close the site.

I've just been searching, but I'm pretty sure that since that case involving the university professor and some of his students (which hinged on the fact that the isp ignored his requests to delete the messages as I recall) there hasn't been any successful libel case in such circumstances, because the publisher is not aware of the libellous content of the posts (if there is any).

god i wish i'd been a lawyer.

Rhubarb Thu 25-May-06 20:26:11

I don't know, I just know the posts with links to The Guardian in them were pulled. A policy of better safe than sorry I suppose.

It does say in one of the 'GF rules' that MN is not allowed to link to other sites that have defamatory reports on GF.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: