Talk

Advanced search

Name Calling & PA's getting worse?

(31 Posts)
KansasCityOctopus Sat 25-May-13 10:14:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 25-May-13 10:20:38

If you're referring to the thread I think you were, every last thing was justified.

ItsallisnowaFeegle Sat 25-May-13 10:28:18

I can't say I've noticed outright PA's on any of the threads I read.

I think occasionally an OP starts a deliberately inflammatory thread that the majority of posters with common sense find appalling and say so. Bluntly.

KansasCityOctopus Sat 25-May-13 10:30:54

Ilikethebreeze Sat 25-May-13 10:32:00

Did you report the pas?

Ilikethebreeze Sat 25-May-13 10:32:54

Report them all if you want to.
I dont think MN will mind.
They keep saying report report report.

Chanatan Sat 25-May-13 10:33:43

I think people have been banned in the past,so maybe Mn are keeping an eye out for posters who are regularly using personal attacks.

What I dislike is the sheep mentatlity,ABC made a personal attack so then a whole load of other posters think its ok to do so,as you say it smacks of playground mentality.

Onesleep,if we are referring to the thread I think you,why cant you just not report and leave it to MN to deal with,just because you disagree or find a subject offensive doesnt justify personal attacks.

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 25-May-13 10:34:11

We'll have to disagree, everything on that thread was justified. I cant comment on others though.

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 25-May-13 10:35:31

I did report, as soon as I saw it, but I felt a response to the ridiculously stupid and offensive op was warranted.

KansasCityOctopus Sat 25-May-13 10:35:32

Chanatan Sat 25-May-13 10:38:48

If a poster cant debate a topic without resorting to personal assaults then perhaps MN is not the forum for them.Would they say some of these things to people the disagree with in RL or is it just because they are hid behind a keyboard.

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 25-May-13 10:39:37

But what was, to you, name calling, was more than likely to someone else, stating the bloody obvious. Admittedly it was blunt, but trying to get through to that op was like plaiting jelly.

Chanatan Sat 25-May-13 10:41:06

Well respond without a personal attack then because as soon as you do that you cheapen the point you are trying to make.

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 25-May-13 10:41:25

I can't speak for anybody else, but if she had spouted that offensive, ill informed shit to me in person, I certainly would have given her both barrels and more.

KansasCityOctopus Sat 25-May-13 10:48:01

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 25-May-13 10:54:07

I have. Maybe it's not for you if you think people should just be allowed to say vile, ignorant stuff without being pulled up on it, or their ignorance.

SgtTJCalhoun Sat 25-May-13 10:57:50

I think it's just you OP.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 25-May-13 10:59:04

We have no reason to believe that name calling and personal attacks are getting worse and we do indeed take a dim view of those who repeatedly break this particular guideline and take action where needed.
Please do report anything you think we should see.
We love reports, we do.
Thanks
MNHQ

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 25-May-13 11:22:25

It was a particularly stupid OP but rather than trying to engage with the poster and explain why people thought so, it just came down to lots of PAs.
I posted to ask a couple of questions, both polite, as I didn't understand her thinking, and wanted to know more.
Instead it's been deleted and left nobody looking good.

Tee2072 Sat 25-May-13 11:41:38

I have no idea what thread you're talking about but I will maintain until my dying day that sometimes you need to call a cunt a cunt.

And do so on here and IRL.

GetOrfMoiLand Sat 25-May-13 11:46:43

It's not getting any worse in my view.

But strange how you see it appropriate to defend the indefensible.

KansasCityOctopus Sat 25-May-13 11:54:53

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 25-May-13 12:04:36

Saying that someone is obviously stupid is not necessarily name calling, in this case it was a statement of fact.

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 25-May-13 12:05:11

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 25-May-13 12:06:49

oops. tee2072 you're lucky to have missed that thread. It was one of the most ignorant, offensive OP's ive ever seen, and the op carried it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now