Talk

Advanced search

"Facebook" competitions on MN site - unclear entry process?

(2 Posts)
CheeseStrawWars Tue 21-May-13 21:04:00

There's been a couple of competitions lately advertised on the right hand side in the "Mumsnet Latest" box where I have had this problem. When I click on the link it takes me to an entry form, so far so good. When I complete the form and try to enter the competition it opens a box from Facebook - for instance, with the Book People competition - saying "Engage Sciences would like access to your public profile and friends". If you say no, you can't enter.

Nowhere on the page or in the T&C can I see anything about a) Engage Sciences (the competition is branded as Book People) and b) having to let Facebook do stuff as part of terms of entry to the competition. Or is just it me missing something?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 22-May-13 17:47:54

Hello. Sorry you haven't had your query answered before now.

And no, you're not missing something! Engage Science (whose software we use to build the comp) are asking for your details purely to stop folks entering a gazillion times and giving themselves an unfairly high chance of winning.

We do understand this might have look a bit alarming, though. We'll try to make things a little clearer - and more friendly - in our next Facebook comps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now