Talk

Advanced search

It would be great if you could post as different names on different threads.

(9 Posts)
lougle Sun 12-May-13 15:16:41

I know we can name change. It's fine for permanent or seasonal namechanges.

If you name change for a particular thread, say for sensitive issues, you're a bit stuck. You can either only post on that thread, or you have to namechange each and every time you post on different threads.

It would be fantastic if the name you chose was fixed for each thread, so that I could namechange to post as 'chosenname' on a particular thread, then switch back. Every thread I posted on would post as 'lougle' except the one on which I posted as 'chosenname', which would then always use 'chosenname'.

It would be really useful for people who may like to post in different topics but may not like their postings to make a 'picture'.

lougle Sun 12-May-13 15:17:37

Oooh you could have a drop down box 'pick name for this thread' and a list of the names you have had so far....

NetworkGuy Tue 14-May-13 06:56:19

Can see where you're coming from, and since MN systems identify the same user whatever the name, would hope they consider this at some point (once they have fixed the outstanding private messages problem I've banged on about for almost 30 months!) smile

BeerTricksPotter Tue 14-May-13 07:01:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 14-May-13 07:01:56

I like this idea Lougle.

MrsBranestawm Tue 14-May-13 07:15:31

So do I.

lougle Tue 14-May-13 09:45:42

It would also prevent sock-puppets because once you set your nickname for that thread, it would keep it for the whole thread.

The actual names could be set up as we do now, so you'd have to go to your interface to add a name to the 'bank' you can choose from for each thread.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 14-May-13 11:23:17

Hi Lougle,

Thanks for the suggestion.

We will have a think but how would it work on threads where NCing half way through to be funny eg on the Yoni thread or the Christmas nativity threads or the 50 shades of MN thread etc work?

As much as we would love to get shot of the sock puppets, would losing the ability to NC on a particular thread stop some of the humour?

lougle Tue 14-May-13 20:09:46

Mmm I see your point. Perhaps the restriction could be just for sensitive topics?

I'm not that fussed about the fixed namechange thingy. I'm more fussed about the fact that if I wanted to post something delicate, so namechanged, that stops me using the rest of MN unless I keep NCing back and forth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now