Talk

Advanced search

Trollery

(6 Posts)
BerylStreep Tue 23-Apr-13 08:53:58

You know how it feels, intriguing OP - everyone piles in with comments and views, a few pertinent questions asked, looking for updates, and …

nada.

You think, where is the OP?

Eventually do a search, and discover that it is the OP's first ever post, unless it is a someone who has name changed.

I've been on about 3 threads like this this week. It is very frustrating. Anyhow, save me reading pages and pages of wind up, I think I am going to start searching for the OP first.

And to save anyone the bother, yes, I have been around for yonks!

MN, what what can we do about this? Is it possible to have a 'member since..' note beside posters' names or something?

UnChartered Tue 23-Apr-13 08:59:23

the only thing a 'member since...' tag would do then is identify new posters

i think you have to use your own radar, if it looks sus, report it and/or avoid

SanityClause Tue 23-Apr-13 09:08:06

Hmm, I know what you mean, but then there are those times everyone piles in an accuses the OP of trollery, which I find really upsetting.

You know, they start picking holes in their story, and saying this or that couldn't have happened. Well, maybe it could have happened, but the OP hasn't included every detail, or maybe the OP changed some details to protect their identity, and the new details don't quite ring true, because they're not. But the main situation is true.

I also hate the way some posters just pile in and bully the OP, asking why they did such a silly thing. Well, thats helpful, isn't it? It's like the person asking for directions to somewhere, and being told by the local yokel, "Well, I wouldn't start from here!"

Okay, rant over!

wigglesrock Tue 23-Apr-13 11:00:04

Some longtime posters namechange to start strange little threads, it's not just new members so I'm not sure how member since ........ would help.

I think it would also add to a feeling of oh I've been here longer, I know more etc. I don't think creating a hierarchy of users even if it's just perceived is a good idea.

nenevomito Tue 23-Apr-13 12:21:22

Easiest thing to do is to report to HQ and ask if its really a namechange reg if someone says they are.

Massively contentious post from first time poster who never comes back = quite likely hairy handed.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 23-Apr-13 13:33:25

yy - report, report, report.

We will happily take a look into it - we do totally understand the frustration though. Don't assume that we have seen it, always report.

tia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now