Talk

Advanced search

trolls

(54 Posts)
mumof2aimingfor4 Mon 15-Apr-13 16:53:35

Last night's troll made me feel physically sick and yes I was one of the people that automatically reported and wrote a reply saying how sick they were.
I know it is feeding them hence this thread.

Does anyone agree that if a thread is reported that said thread should be automatically frozen and no one can reply but can still report. I had to vent myself at the specific moment in time and that is exactly what they want.

Sorry if this has been asked before im not a frequent MNer.

mumof2aimingfor4 Mon 15-Apr-13 16:57:31

???

What happened?

mumof2aimingfor4 Mon 15-Apr-13 16:59:37

It was about child abuse. Anyway...does any one agree/know if threads should be automatically frozen as soon as a report is sent?

SchroSawMargeryDaw Mon 15-Apr-13 17:00:37

But lots of threads get reported and that would be open to abuse.

You could just randomly crash any thread you don't like.

IYoniWantToBeWithYou Mon 15-Apr-13 17:01:23

Last nights one was disgusting the worst I have seen, but it was removed quickly, they can't automatically lock a thread when its been reported, people will abuse it if that happens.

usualsuspect Mon 15-Apr-13 17:01:57

It was a sick thread, I feel the best thing to do is report and not post on the thread. So it drops of active convos.

Hard to do I know.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 15-Apr-13 17:02:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usualsuspect Mon 15-Apr-13 17:03:28

Trolls like that are posting for a reaction. So the best way to go is not to react.

BOF Mon 15-Apr-13 17:03:55

Yes, it wouldn't work really.

And it was an extremely unusual thread- I don't think we've had one that sick before in thirteen years, so it's not like the measures we've got need overhauling really, as they work pretty well for the most part.

What we could maybe have is more prominent guidelines on Not Feeding The Troll, and on how to hide threads that are upsetting you.

mumof2aimingfor4 Mon 15-Apr-13 17:05:50

I was hoping that if a thread was reported by a certain amount of different users then it could be frozen.

usualsuspect Mon 15-Apr-13 17:07:31

It was the sickest troll thread I've ever seen on here.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 15-Apr-13 17:08:19

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Apr-13 17:16:13

Yes, please do report as soon as you see them. And try not to post.

They come here to get a rise out of us. And you can't get a rise out of <tumbleweed>

DeepRedBetty Mon 15-Apr-13 17:27:50

Is Tech able to consider an automatic freeze and hide till morning of any thread that is reported by say 20 different established users within say a ten minute period?

And what about an automatic freeze and hide till morning if say five users Report a post from a user who is less than 30 days old? Including freezing all posts anywhere from that user?

mumof2aimingfor4 Mon 15-Apr-13 17:39:08

DeepRedBetty thats what I was thinking.

mumof2aimingfor4 Mon 15-Apr-13 17:41:10

But I think ten mins is too long, as soon as it hits 20 established users reporting it, it should freeze and hide.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 15-Apr-13 17:43:56

BOF Mon 15-Apr-13 17:47:36

The thing is, that sort of occurrence is rather rare, and we could manage it by reporting, not posting and hiding. They'd get bored and toddle off.

Whereas it could could take the techs weeks potentially of re-writing code, it could crash or mess with other bits of the site, and there is always a massive To Do list of other issues which need fixing.

I understand why that particular troll was so upsetting, but I'm not convinced that we need a massive technical solution: the key thing really is to NOT respond to obvious trolls, especially ones designed to shock and disgust.

Tee2072 Mon 15-Apr-13 17:47:41

No. What if you don't like someone and you have 20 friends? You could get them all to report, your thread(s) are frozen and possibly any help you actually need lost.

Be an adult. Report, hide and ignore.

TheSecondComing Mon 15-Apr-13 17:49:53

usualsuspect Mon 15-Apr-13 17:52:55

Yep, the creative writing ones are rife ATM.

Lucyellensmum95 Mon 15-Apr-13 17:53:51

I reported a thread the other day, i wasn't sure if it was true or not, so i didn't post. Because i wasn't on the thread i was unable to find out what the outcome was. It was one of those, if this is genuine then actually, fine but if it was a troll then it was really bad type threads. I know MNHQ are busy but in cases like that It would be nice to receive an email (group would be ok) saying what decision was made, and why.

Gerrof Mon 15-Apr-13 17:55:45

I agree with bof, tee and others. This is a horrible thing to happen but there is no technical solution which is realistically applicable which would be better than ignoring and reporting.

I also don't see how 20 established posters would be any good. Someone who has been here 10 years is no better than someone who joined last week. You can't just have an established posters list with the power to zap a thread, it wouldn't be fair.

Gerrof Mon 15-Apr-13 17:56:43

ignoring and reporting doesn't make sense - I meant to say not posting and reporting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now