Talk

Advanced search

iPhone app..... is anything happening?

(18 Posts)
BeanoGrigio Fri 12-Apr-13 22:25:24

Hi, just wondered if anything was going to happen to change the iPhone app at all.

When this version first came out, lots of posters said they didn't like the smilies, and also the way active convos tends to repeat the same few threads as you scroll down (at first I thought this was due to it refreshing and things getting pushed down the most recent lists, but it often duplicates the mn stuff at the top too), and also how some punctuation just looks like lots of codey symbols.

I think at first mnhq said they were aware and would try to fix it, now the complaints seem to have stopped/slowed down but the problems and annoyances are still there.

I just wondered if its still on mnhq's to do list to sort out? I appreciate you've had a lot to do with spammers, trolls and negative press recently.

JulieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 12-Apr-13 23:09:55

Hi. We'll do some asking and get back to you about this.

BeanoGrigio Sat 13-Apr-13 06:12:23

Thank you smile

Beamae Sat 13-Apr-13 06:24:44

I'm finding it very glitchy. In active convos hitting the refresh button leaves just a blank screen maybe half the time. I have to hit refresh 2 or 3 times to get the list back and often have to quit out of the app and relaunch to resolve. When going into a thread I often have no posts with (null) replies at the top, not even the OP, and have to do the same repeated refreshing and a quit to resolve. Also, when in a very, very long thread sometimes refreshing takes me back up pages and pages and I have to scroll and wait for each batch of replies to reload over again. Good to know it's being looked at! Just thought I'd add what I'm finding FYI. Thanks!

AllOverIt Sat 13-Apr-13 06:57:10

I suffer all the glitches as mentioned above. It's annoying!! Especially pound signs. That makes me angry

EuroShaggleton Sat 13-Apr-13 07:02:07

I get the same glitches.

onedev Sat 13-Apr-13 07:02:31

Agree with all above - please fix the app!!

Tee2072 Sat 13-Apr-13 07:05:25

Use the mobile site.

picnicbasketcase Sat 13-Apr-13 07:27:14

Agreed. It would be lovely to have the old smileys back, and lose the '&pound=$%' or whatever. I don't think this confused looks confused at all, it's more like constipated. I really liked the old app.

SkiBumMum Sat 13-Apr-13 07:28:18

Yep hate the refresh thing

lightrain Sat 13-Apr-13 07:29:03

Yep, it's awful. Use the mobile site, much better

onedev Sat 13-Apr-13 07:33:44

What's the mobile site?

Tee2072 Sat 13-Apr-13 07:40:45

should give you the mobile site if you click it from your phone.

If it doesn't scroll to the bottom of the browser page and there is a link.

WhispersOfWickedness Sat 13-Apr-13 07:46:16

I have all these problems too. I sometimes use the mobile site, but it's also a bit of a PITA as it's obviously not a direct link as the app is so have to retrieve from favourites and then jump through more hoops to get to anything I want to read, it's just not as simple to use.

Selks Sat 13-Apr-13 07:48:44

I have raised this issue at least twice with MNHQ in the last few months and have had an initial response of "hi we'll look into it and get back to you" then nothing happens.
It is totally rubbish.
And before anyone says 'use the mobile site' it is just as hopeless, for other reasons.
Come on MN sort it out for the love of god.

Tee2072 Sat 13-Apr-13 07:50:02

In what way is the mobile site hopeless? hmm

The app is, yes, I won't use it.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 13-Apr-13 12:33:22

Selks

I have raised this issue at least twice with MNHQ in the last few months and have had an initial response of "hi we'll look into it and get back to you" then nothing happens.
It is totally rubbish.
And before anyone says 'use the mobile site' it is just as hopeless, for other reasons.
Come on MN sort it out for the love of god.

Hello. Sorry you got that response, Selks - as it's not quite right.

We have identified - with lots of MNers' help wink - a whole shedload of ishoos with the app, I'm afraid, and we're working on getting them fixed.

But it's complicated, as it's not something we can sort completely on our own.

We're sorry that this is really just a "bear with us a bit longer" response. We wish it were otherwise.

What's up with the mobile site, btw?

WhispersOfWickedness Sat 13-Apr-13 19:44:57

Thanks Helen smile I don't think the mobile site is useless, it's just not as intuitive or direct to use as an app, which is why I assume there is an app in the first place grin I do like the app and find it easy to use, the glitches are just a little irritating. Great to know that it is being looked at though, I did assume that the emoticons were going to stay but it would be good to know that they will get back to 'normal' eventually grin
The strangest one is the envy which some people use as a sick face.. It does change the meaning of a post when you find yourself looking at a green heart in relation to something disgusting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now