Talk

Advanced search

Wanted and for sale boards

(14 Posts)
Dumbledoresgirl Mon 05-Nov-12 12:16:25

is there any activity on these boards? I was thinking of offering some children's books for sale I have enough to stock a small book shop so I went to the wanted and for sale boards to see how they worked and if there was much interest in buying and selling on here these days. I remember the boards of long ago and the pram huns etc. They are not really my target customer!

But, things have changed (probably decades ago, I know, it has been a long time since I was last there!) and I now have to pay £10 up front before I can even see the threads! Well, it is not hard to understand that I am not willing to pay anything until I can see if it will be worth my while.

So, either MNHQ or fellow users of the boards: please could you let me know how the wanted and for sale boards are these days? Would there be much traffic? Would there be much interest in the buying of second hand children's books?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Nov-12 12:20:52

Hello Dumbeldoresgirl.

The For Sale/Wanted boards are still going strong - although perhaps not as busy as they used to be a while back.

The busiest threads are for clothes and baby accessories.

Your books might fare better on Mumsnet Local: on the Nearly New noticeboards?

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 05-Nov-12 12:23:48

Thank you for that Helen. I will take a look. It's all quite different round these parts now isn't it? smile

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 05-Nov-12 12:30:10

Urgh! It really has changed round here. I can no longer find my local boards. I found a map of GB and clicked on my area and clicked on 'talk' but a pop up said 'coming soon'. And I saw no sign of Nearly New Noticeboards. I am lost! <wanders round bewildered>

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Nov-12 12:31:16

Which Local, DG?

You need to type in local.mumsnet.com/*your area* (no www)

And all will then be revealed!

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 05-Nov-12 12:32:20

OK, got the map out, found Nearly New. No sign of any activity though. This is the land that everyone forgot I think. sad

YouSeveredHead Mon 05-Nov-12 12:35:21

The boards have just relaunched so it might not be a true reflection

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 05-Nov-12 12:36:08

I tried both Bristol and Gloucestershire and found zilch! Is there a secret password I have to give to gain admittance to the inner sanctum?

And what is with the needing a new nickname to join the local sites? I have been DG too long to think up a new name!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Nov-12 12:38:24

No no, it's fresh pastures new!

We've just relaunched Mumsnet Local.

Please do load up your books to Nearly New - it's free! So nothing to lose...

We're asking all MNers to help us make Local look more full of stuff...

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 05-Nov-12 12:43:22

OKaaaay. I'll give it a go. Bristol/Gloucestershire folk have a look! wink

What's with the need for a new nickname though? That is a bit odd, isn't it? Is it something to do with security?

YouSeveredHead Mon 05-Nov-12 12:53:57

You can use the same one. It was incase people didn't want to give away where they lived, chose wisely you can't change it

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 05-Nov-12 16:06:42

Hi MNHQ or anyone else who can answer this!

I am not sure the local boards works for selling books. I have hundreds! I listed all the titles in categories, only to be told my listing must be 900 characters or less. This might work for a general ad, but it doesn't work for listing book titles, authors, condition of books, prices etc.

I have had to leave out all my usual contact details and terms and conditions. If anyone sees my listings, I see they can contact me by clicking on contact poster, but will I receive any notification of their message? Will it go to DG's inbox? I am not 'DG' on the local board because I had to come up with another nickname.

I am sorry to be all doom and gloom here MN, but I don't think this is going to work for me anyway, and I have spent all afternoon listing!

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Nov-12 16:21:08

Dumbledoresgirl

Hi MNHQ or anyone else who can answer this!

I am not sure the local boards works for selling books. I have hundreds! I listed all the titles in categories, only to be told my listing must be 900 characters or less. This might work for a general ad, but it doesn't work for listing book titles, authors, condition of books, prices etc.

I have had to leave out all my usual contact details and terms and conditions. If anyone sees my listings, I see they can contact me by clicking on contact poster, but will I receive any notification of their message? Will it go to DG's inbox? I am not 'DG' on the local board because I had to come up with another nickname.

I am sorry to be all doom and gloom here MN, but I don't think this is going to work for me anyway, and I have spent all afternoon listing!

Hi DG,
Yes, you will get an email notification to the email address attached to your Mumsnet membership, so you won't miss any interested parties. You make a good point about the character count for Nearly New. We will look into it asap.

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 05-Nov-12 16:38:18

Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now