Talk

Advanced search

How do you report a PM?

(31 Posts)
CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Thu 01-Nov-12 09:00:37

I have had 3 PM's overnight that are downright abusive, I wish to report them but can't see a way to do this on the mobile site?

ProcrastinatingPanda Thu 01-Nov-12 09:10:50

You could try reporting this thread?

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Nov-12 09:22:52

Hi yes
We are on this
Thanks

Maryz Thu 01-Nov-12 15:23:40

If they are regulars, Couthy, name and shame on thread.

I really think that people who abuse by pm deserve to be outed.

Obviously if they are newbies/spammers it's harder.

I hope you are ok.

MardyBra Thu 01-Nov-12 15:33:46

I'm not sure it's a great idea to name and shame on the boards Maryz.

Were you there when it happened a couple of months back with two regulars (one of whom is very well known). There was a right hoo-ha. It transpired that poster one had misread poster two's pm, but by then it was too late.

Poster two was very upset and nearly flounced because (although many of us were incredulous or thought it was a case of mistaken identity because of a small typo in the name) some posters (mainly non-regulars) were sympathising with poster one.

iyswim. confused

BeerTricksPott3r Thu 01-Nov-12 15:42:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maryz Thu 01-Nov-12 15:42:19

Oh, yes, I remember.

I suppose I just think it's horrible sending abusive pm's - much more so than personally attacking people on the boards because it's sort of "following them home" iyswim.

I hate thinking that people can get away with it.

But yes, I do understand that mistaken identity, imitation of other names etc could cause a bit of a bunfight [understatement]

Maryz Thu 01-Nov-12 15:42:34

So, do what Beer says [smle]

PoppadomPreach Thu 01-Nov-12 15:47:12

I can see the attraction of naming and shaming (and abusive message senders would deserve this) but could see such a system being abused and people doing it out of spite.

Now if we could have some sort of virtual mumsnet "stocks" where we could throw our virtual mumsnet tomatoes at the abusive message sender then I'd like that.

But I do agree that sending abusive PMs is very unacceptable. my PMs are usually apologising for being a bit of an arse on a thread

greenhill Thu 01-Nov-12 16:11:47

A thread has already been deleted today that has named and shamed the same PM sender (who was obviously quite busy last night).

couthy it might be a good idea to report yourself to MNHQ on that other thread for naming the offensive PM'er, so they can delete it at your request. It's completely understandable for you to be cross, but it is probably better to dob yourself in, rather than have someone report you and falsely accuse you of a personal attack smile. Have some thanks

FWIW I think that the school holidays have brought out these 'charmers'

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 01-Nov-12 16:18:03

why do people send abusive pms? who was it Couthy.....ill get em for you! (not really but it sounds good)
grin

i remember the other debacle....was all a bit weird. what happened with that?

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Thu 01-Nov-12 16:19:33

sad Hope you're ok, couthy. wine

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Thu 01-Nov-12 19:23:18

I am now. And as I C&P, I won't be getting it deleted, unless HQ feel it needs to be, as it is word for word what was sent to me. I think with something like this, people SHOULD be able to see exactly what I was sent, so they know I'm not just saying the PM's were abusive.

I'll be fine, but I admit that I was a little unnerved at being told I was a disgusting benefits scrounger and I should fuck off.

I've been here years and it's the first time anyone has been that out and out nasty by PM.

If you're going to do that, then do it on the thread.

And we need a way to block PM's from a sender on the mobile site, as I currently have no access to the desktop site because my lappy is in for repair. So I can't even block PM's from that poster.

BlameItOnTheCuervForHumanBlood Thu 01-Nov-12 19:35:17

Jeez, what is wrong with some people. What a cunt. Hope you're ok.

ThePathanKhansWitch Thu 01-Nov-12 19:38:52

Name and shame couthy. Let the snidey fuckers own it.

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 01-Nov-12 19:40:11

my pm function isnt working - i was sending you a msg of support couthy.

hope you are ok

SauvignonBlanche Thu 01-Nov-12 19:41:39

How horrible! shock

AnyaKnowIt Thu 01-Nov-12 19:43:03

I say name and shame, if someone wants to send arsey pm's let everyone know what they are really like!

Hope your ok

SauvignonBlanche Thu 01-Nov-12 19:44:57

What thread was this on?

MrsDeVere Thu 01-Nov-12 19:47:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoneyDragon Thu 01-Nov-12 19:50:16

That person appears to have been rife last night. Definite weirdo.

Floralnomad Thu 01-Nov-12 19:52:44

They were most definitely abusive ( saw what was said as I've been reading that thread) ! I've not been on here long and I had quite a nasty ,but not abusive ,PM a couple of days ago which I reported . It's beyond me why people feel the need and in my case I wish they had just put it on the thread so I could have responded to it publicly IYSWIM .

GobblersKnob Thu 01-Nov-12 19:53:32

Jesus. Fuckers.

Don't let the bastards grind you down.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Thu 01-Nov-12 19:57:47

The PM's came through. Yours came through 3 times, Vicar, and Gobblers about 5!

Yesterday and today, PM's look like they aren't being sent when they are. Most odd, but I was going to start a thread about it in a bit!

Maryz Thu 01-Nov-12 20:04:33

I've just seen the thread.

So another person who namechanged, called bully, and then added abusive pm's into the mix shock

I would love to know whether it was a namechanger, a sockpuppet, or a "new registration", i.e. someone who registered specifically using a new email address and completely new registration.

Because I think that is becoming more common, and I don't know how it can be stopped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now