Talk

Advanced search

Nomainations emails for Secret Santa - everyone listed in to field?

(10 Posts)
SecretXmasRecipient Tue 30-Oct-12 22:27:07

Hi MNHQ

I have emailed you about this, and had no response but also posting here after a few conversations with others.

I (very gratefully) received an email on Sunday saying I had been nominated for the Xmas MN Appeal. The only thing is is that in the 'to' of the generic message I could see all of the other MNers it had been sent to.

Now, whilst I'm not annoyed or whatever about this, I get the feeling from some conversations with others they might feel a little uncomfortable with all the other nominees on the email knowing they were a recipient.

I know in the past MNHQ have sent mass emails but have BCC'd all - ie for the reporting of a troll thread for example.

I'm not sure why this hasn't been done for the Secret Santa messages? Especially when it could be contentious when some people see that others have been nominated.

SecretXmasRecipient Tue 30-Oct-12 22:37:10

Bump - anyone else?

tribpot Tue 30-Oct-12 22:38:04

I noticed this as well and thought it was a bit strange.

OlaRapaceFru Wed 31-Oct-12 09:40:13

Do you mean the actual email that pops into our own email inbox, when a PM has been sent to us, is showing people's RL names? If that was the case, I don't think I'd be too happy with my RL name being 'out there'.

Gigondas Wed 31-Oct-12 09:41:34

One I saw had poster nicknames not rl names

OlaRapaceFru Wed 31-Oct-12 09:42:56

So an email or a PM? I'm a bit confused by this!

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 31-Oct-12 09:54:25

Hi there,

Yes, HUGE apols for this, totally my error blush

We used to bcc via PM and I made the rookie error of thinking this was still the case without testing it first blush

No RL names or email addresses were shared and as you can only PM around 20 folks at a time, anyone nominated would only have seen a handful of other nominated talk NNs on their cc.

I am really sorry that this happened, I did realise a bit late in the day so not everyone who was nominated got a PM with others on it.

Apologies once again <flogs self>

Northernlurkerisbehindyouboo Wed 31-Oct-12 10:22:59

I don't see that this is a big issue. People are nominated because of things they put 'out there' on a public messageboard. So it's hardly infringing people's privacy. Also people are not only nominated if they're having a hard time. People are also nominated for being nice - which is certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

ScarahStratton Wed 31-Oct-12 10:32:30

It didn't bother me, I could only see about 10 names as its been divided up alphabetically.

At least we only got the message once!

OlaRapaceFru Wed 31-Oct-12 11:07:54

MN names, not a problem with me either.
I thought the OP was referring to RL email addresses to begin with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now