Talk

Advanced search

Could we have a poppy emoticon for Armstice day?

(58 Posts)
TheCunnyFuntOfEastwick Tue 30-Oct-12 20:27:22

Please?

I just think that it is such an important piece of history that we should show some support (besides wearing one) and have a little poppy throughout November.

I'd use it loads smile

OlaRapaceFru Tue 30-Oct-12 21:24:19

I'll support you on this one Cunny.

I agree that it's an important piece of our history. But also important currently, when you think of so many members of the forces who are being killed, or injured, on active service.

StillSmallVoiceOfCalm Tue 30-Oct-12 21:31:27

Only if we get a white poppy for the rest of the year.

TheCunnyFuntOfEastwick Tue 30-Oct-12 21:45:20

Of course Ola, for those too, I suspect there are many MNers whose husbands or partners are serving. And also women, there's quite a few of those out there too I believe.

Still why a white poppy? Do poppies even come in white?

lurcherlover Tue 30-Oct-12 21:50:06

I don't get the white poppy thing. It suggests a red poppy somehow glorifies war (because wearing a white poppy is a sign you don't support war but want to remember). That's not what a red poppy means at all. It is purely about remembering those who have died in war. That does not in any way imply a support of war itself.

Sirzy Tue 30-Oct-12 21:52:24

Yup I am all for the poppy for november!

TheCunnyFuntOfEastwick Tue 30-Oct-12 21:53:14

It's only a red poppy because they were the first flowers to appear on the battlefield or something isn't it? I seem to recall being taught something along those lines.

OohMrDarcy Tue 30-Oct-12 21:53:32

I'm up for it!

lurcherlover Tue 30-Oct-12 21:58:11

It was noticed that red poppies grew abundantly on battlefields and the graves of dead soldiers - they are plants that like disturbed ground. And of course the colour is an obvious reminder of the sacrifice of the dead, so they became the symbol of remembrance after the war.

elfycat Tue 30-Oct-12 21:58:35

Poppies like newly turned soil. After all that bombing the soil was ... sad

Please on the poppy emoticon. DH is a retired soldier.

TheCunnyFuntOfEastwick Tue 30-Oct-12 22:01:23

I knew it was something like that. I learnt all this in primary school after all so at least 10 years ago grin

TheCunnyFuntOfEastwick Tue 30-Oct-12 22:03:27

Damn I've just noticed I spelt Armistice wrong.

NosFarlotu Tue 30-Oct-12 22:06:54

This would be lovely.

TinyDancingHoofer Wed 31-Oct-12 01:48:56

One vote for yay!

BlueyDragon Wed 31-Oct-12 02:00:11

Yes please MNHQ!

ComradeJing Wed 31-Oct-12 02:42:24

I vote yes too MNHQ. My DB is in the army.

financialwizard Wed 31-Oct-12 07:32:15

I vote yes. Very long history of military bods in my family.

LtEveDallas Wed 31-Oct-12 07:46:54

I'm not sure about a poppy emoticon, I mean what would it be used for? (ie Flowers mean 'Thanks' - What would the poppy symbolise?)

I think MNHQ could add a poppy to the MN Icon (like when they added an Olympic torch)

MNers could always add to usernames if they wanted like LtEveDallasWearingAPoppy smile

StarsGhostTail Wed 31-Oct-12 09:07:27

Any where that has been, or is near wheat fields is absolutely full of poppy seeds.
I don't know how long they survive, but when we dug shed foundations and left them (DD2 came along) we got a sea of poppies.
Fields left as grass, the year after being winter wheat are amazing and even mole hills grow poppies, here.

StarsGhostTail Wed 31-Oct-12 09:08:53

As to a MN Poppy, yes, but I'd have to think where to put it.

Wetthemogwai Wed 31-Oct-12 09:19:34

Was trying to find a way of doing one without an emoticon but this was the best I could come up with....

( • )
. |

So you've got my vote too! I'd put it at the end of every post

NewKateMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 31-Oct-12 11:16:07

Some v excellent suggestions here. How many of you would like a poppy emoticon?

TheCunnyFuntOfEastwick Wed 31-Oct-12 11:23:24

I do I do I do! <sticks hand up>

Good idea wrt names LtEve, but if you recall, MNHQ added the olympic torch to the logo AND they had a torch emoticon smile

Badvoc Wed 31-Oct-12 11:25:14

I do!
Great idea.

GrotMags Wed 31-Oct-12 11:25:20

Yes please to the poppy emotion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now