please as every day there is another one,

ZombTEE Wed 17-Oct-12 15:04:59

When did they become allowed?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Oct-12 15:40:24

ZombTEE

When did they become allowed?

We don't allow them. Just to be clear.

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Wed 17-Oct-12 16:39:39

sorry they are, I reported one a couple of weeks ago and was told it was being allowed !!
so i assumed in the act of fairness that they would all be

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Oct-12 17:59:07

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch

sorry they are, I reported one a couple of weeks ago and was told it was being allowed !!
so i assumed in the act of fairness that they would all be

Well, that's odd. Was it a thread started purely to puff a petition (which is not allowed) and a thread that mentioned a petition at some point as part of discussion?

AndFanjoWasHisNameO Wed 17-Oct-12 19:57:56

blush erm really sorry....I may have accidentally put a thread up in AIBU asking people to join a group/sign a petition.
I was also going to email HQ to ask if Mumsnet would consider getting behind this cause.
Have slapped self on wrists and please remove thread if it's nortty wink

AndFanjoWasHisNameO Wed 17-Oct-12 20:07:23

Although having just written all that and having Olivia about to pull my thread...I see a very healthy, fast moving petition thread below mine hmm fair?

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Wed 17-Oct-12 22:11:47

It isn't personal AndFanjoWasHisNameO
I just think mn hq should either allow and have a topic, or not allow.
or allow and not have a topic, I just think it is unfair to zap some and not others.

AndFanjoWasHisNameO Wed 17-Oct-12 23:05:20

No-I was agreeing with you socks! My thread was pulled but the other was left to stand (either they should all go or all stay) all that I've seen are worthy causes smile

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Thu 18-Oct-12 10:11:46

phew thought I had offended.
just think there should be one rule for all

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Oct-12 11:09:49

Morning. There is DEFINITELY one rule for all.

Threads started exclusively to promote a petition are not allowed - and it says this in our Guidelines.

However, we don't necessarily see them all, as MN is not a pre-moderated board.

Please do feel free to report petition threads to us and we will then zap them.

The only time when we might not is if it is a discussion about a topical issue of particular interest to MNers, and then we might do something like edit the OP to take the petition link out (so it's a discussion thread, rather than a 'sign this petition' thread).

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Thu 18-Oct-12 15:03:02

sorry my mistake, I just assumed things had changed as mn hq allowed one to stand as a lot of people had posted, I thought that meant all were allowed.

ZombTEE Thu 18-Oct-12 18:25:24

Is this the one you're talking about that is still around?

I am about to report it to HQ as well as posting it here.

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Thu 18-Oct-12 21:17:20

obviously it has been allowed

ZombTEE Fri 19-Oct-12 05:25:31

Well I reported it but I haven't heard back from HQ, which isn't like them at all.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Oct-12 13:22:29

ZombTEE

Well I reported it but I haven't heard back from HQ, which isn't like them at all.

Probably cos we haven't got to your report yet, ZombTEE <inbox overload>

Please bear with us.

ZombTEE Fri 19-Oct-12 15:02:24

Oh it's going to be one of those weekends.

[gin] Helen?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 19-Oct-12 15:09:20

I think you should have a petition/vote for me topic, then petitions would have to go there, or would be moved there.

Petitions annoy but I have a heart and would feel a right bitch reporting a petition thread that starts "I just watched my nephew die from a brain tumour"

Or a vote for me thread that says "just 100 more votes and terminally ill DD can go to Disneyland"

I am a bitch aren't I ((skulks away))

ZombTEE Fri 19-Oct-12 15:34:05

I have a heart. I have no problem ignoring petitions or vote for me threads.

I guess it's a cold heart.

shrug

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:53:03

ItsAllGoingToBeFine

I think you should have a petition/vote for me topic, then petitions would have to go there, or would be moved there.

Petitions annoy but I have a heart and would feel a right bitch reporting a petition thread that starts "I just watched my nephew die from a brain tumour"

Or a vote for me thread that says "just 100 more votes and terminally ill DD can go to Disneyland"

I am a bitch aren't I ((skulks away))

No, we get it.

We don't really want to create a Petitions topic because we fear that might open the floodgates!

But we probably do need to put on our thinking caps and think of something that works a little better than it does now...

BustersOfDoom Sat 20-Oct-12 00:22:10

But what floodgates? That was the reason you gave when you zapped my childhood brain tumour awareness petition thread at the beginning of this year and I've seen very few petition threads since then. Surely by having a petitions topic you are giving us forum members the choice to either sign or not and raising awareness to certain issues. If I don't agree with something then I won't sign, if I do I will and I'm sure that goes for everyone else here.

I don't understand what difference it makes to the site. You could have a disclaimer at the top of that topic saying 'this is not endorsed by MN, all signatories do so in a personal capacity' or whatever - in the same way you do on the Relationships thread about posters not being experts in dv/relationship matters, seek independent advice etc.

Yes, you do need to think about how to manage it as your currently policy just seems a little mean spirited. There are lots of people on here working hard to raise awareness/do good for often overlooked causes and the blanket ban on petitions just seems out of step. We are grown ups after all and can choose to click on a thread title or not.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 20-Oct-12 10:56:01

BustersOfDoom

But what floodgates? That was the reason you gave when you zapped my childhood brain tumour awareness petition thread at the beginning of this year and I've seen very few petition threads since then. Surely by having a petitions topic you are giving us forum members the choice to either sign or not and raising awareness to certain issues. If I don't agree with something then I won't sign, if I do I will and I'm sure that goes for everyone else here.

I don't understand what difference it makes to the site. You could have a disclaimer at the top of that topic saying 'this is not endorsed by MN, all signatories do so in a personal capacity' or whatever - in the same way you do on the Relationships thread about posters not being experts in dv/relationship matters, seek independent advice etc.

Yes, you do need to think about how to manage it as your currently policy just seems a little mean spirited. There are lots of people on here working hard to raise awareness/do good for often overlooked causes and the blanket ban on petitions just seems out of step. We are grown ups after all and can choose to click on a thread title or not.

We do appreciate your POV, BustersOfDoom.

But then we also know - from the number of reports that fill our inbox when a petition thread goes up - that a good number of MNers really don't like them, for one reason or another.

We're sure we can find a solution that's neither annoying for those who don't like them nor too mean-spirited for those who don't mind them.

Please bear with us while we try to come up with summat suitable.

BustersOfDoom Sat 20-Oct-12 12:57:25

Thanks Helen. Apologies if I was a little ranty. Medicinal wine had been taken.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now