IamtheZombie Sun 14-Oct-12 19:14:02

That was really, really scary though.

<Zombiewibbleemoticon>

WereTricksPotter Sun 14-Oct-12 19:15:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IamtheZombie Sun 14-Oct-12 19:29:03

No, not yet.

DeadQODy Sun 14-Oct-12 19:30:19

I don't understand, are you talking in tongues?

Trills Sun 14-Oct-12 19:33:58

Er, what?

So, for example, PosterA logged in as herself, but when she posted it came out saying PosterB (not a random name but an actual active real MNer)?

WereTricksPotter Sun 14-Oct-12 19:40:19

Trills Sun 14-Oct-12 19:44:59

So when PosterB logged in they were posting as PosterA as well?

IamtheZombie Sun 14-Oct-12 19:45:14

DZoH and I were away this weekend. When we got home this afternoon and I came online, everything was fine. I was Zombie. I stay permanently logged in, btw. Then I noticed that some of my Customised settings appeared to have changed. I changed them back to my usual settings. A bit later I clicked on Threads I'm On and the threads weren't mine. I clicked on one and scrolled down. Another poster's posts were highlighted (not the OP) and when I got down to the Message Box, that other poster's name appeared beside Nickname.

I clicked on InBox and it was their PMs. I didn't look at any of those. It appears that somehow my registration was temporarily tied up to their account.

Trills Sun 14-Oct-12 19:45:44

I can never remember which DefCon is better.

Is 1 highest/worst/most world-endy? Or 5? How many does it go up to?

Hassled Sun 14-Oct-12 19:49:13

Blimey shock. I want the science. How could that happen? Could it in theory happen on any other site where what you see is dependant on a straightforward login/password? Is that why banks throw in the PIN as well for online stuff?

PeggyCarter Sun 14-Oct-12 19:51:17

Trills Sun 14-Oct-12 19:51:30

Let's think.

Our accounts must be identified by our membership numbers, and the names are then associated with that number. Maybe the link between name and number got confused somewhere?

Hassled Sun 14-Oct-12 19:58:04

For my online banking, I have:
Customer Number (many digits)
Password
4 number PIN
All three of those together identify me to the bank as Hassled.

Is it just the lack of those layers of security that makes the chance of me seeing Trills' PMs more likely than me seeing her current account?

IamtheZombie Sun 14-Oct-12 20:02:28

I don't know how it happened but I think Joyful is right and it has happened before. Whether the poster I became also became me or whether it was more random than that I also couldn't say.

I have PM'd the other poster whose identity I temporarily assumed to let her know what happened and to warn her that I may well have changed some of her customised settings before I noticed the nickname change.

TalcAndTurnips Sun 14-Oct-12 20:05:07

Trills - DEFCON 1 is when you need to retire to your underground bunker with a crate of baked beans and The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. (Gibbon)

We are floating at around DEFCON 4 or 5 most of the time these days, I believe.

Trills Sun 14-Oct-12 20:08:33

But Hassled only one of those things is your unique identifier. The others are just part of logging in.

They make it less likely that you could daliberately log in as me, but I don't think they make a difference as to whether our details could get swapped.

Whistlingwaves Sun 14-Oct-12 20:08:49

Hassled Sun 14-Oct-12 20:12:39

But it's the combination of the three things that tells MegaBank that yes, this is definitely Hassled. The unique identifier isn't, on its own, enough. On MN (and Amazon and Ebay and loads of sites) the only thing telling them that this is definitely Hassled is the Username/password combo.

But I still don't understand at all how this happened to Zombie. It's all a bit Twilight Zone.

IamtheZombie Sun 14-Oct-12 20:13:18

The thing is, Trills, I didn't log in today. I stay logged in permanently. The switch to the other poster and then the switch back to myself both happened while I was logged in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now