Talk

Advanced search

So... the android app? In the foreseeable future? 2013? 2014?

(13 Posts)
GargarmelIsMean Sat 06-Oct-12 20:56:31

I neeeeeeeeeeed it and it was meant to be out before summer sad

Can we have an update with what is happening with it? Tech problems or has it just been put on the back burner?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 06-Oct-12 21:03:11

Hello.

It's def in the pipeline - and will be here soonish.

Reckon early 2013. smile

GargarmelIsMean Sat 06-Oct-12 21:07:33

Really, really? Cross your heart and hope to die, stick a needle in your eye?

SuzySheepSmellsNice Sat 06-Oct-12 21:08:08

Woo! smile

<waves little Android flag>

GargarmelIsMean Sat 06-Oct-12 21:08:14

...because I've almost lost hope now!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 06-Oct-12 21:42:41

Well, it's DarrenMumsnet's project, not mine. So if anyone's going to stick a needle and all, it'll have to be him smile

He's on annual leave at the mo but don't worry: we'll hound him for you when he gets back.

Valpollicella Sat 06-Oct-12 21:44:16

I'm gonna sound like a complete tech luddite here, but what the flip does the app do that the mobile version doesn't?

GargarmelIsMean Sat 06-Oct-12 21:54:35

Val Its just meant to do it all better. I use the DailyMail app (I know, I know, oh the shame!) and it is so much easier to use than the dailymail mobile website.

wadadlis Sat 06-Oct-12 21:57:11

Please please please will you guys look at my 2 android questions in the Geeky stuff - no replies yet sad

Valpollicella Sat 06-Oct-12 22:01:46

But explain to me hoooooow? I don't get it. The mob site for me is super fast (thanks Virgin). What do the apps do. Give me bullet point people....

GargarmelIsMean Sat 06-Oct-12 22:17:31

Val For me it isn't about speed because I only use it on my home network which is super speedy anyway. For the DM app, which is the only other thing that I have where I could use the mob site or the app, I like:

it fits the screen better, no scrolling left or right

the menu button on my phone brings up the DM app menu making it easier to move from page to page and section to section

gallery for pictures so that I can view pictures of better quality and sized to fit my screen perfectly

ease of movement around the site with easy menus <-- This is the main one for me, its just SO much easier to use.

Valpollicella Sat 06-Oct-12 22:27:05

Ta Garg. But the mobile site for me does all of that [perplexed]

I have a shorcut to Active on the front page of my phone that takes me straight there. No scrolling. Plus if i have to go from section to section, there is the button at the top of the site that lists them all

shuts the fuck up as ten MNHQ might not release the app if you can do it all on the mob site

GargarmelIsMean Sat 06-Oct-12 22:33:28

But its all better on an app, thats the point of them I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now