Talk

Advanced search

I'm Confused - name change and Inbox

(11 Posts)
ScaredTEECat Wed 12-Oct-11 20:19:25

So as you can see I'm wearing my very terrifying and, of course, soon to be award winning, Hallowe'en name. ::twirls::

However, I was having a PM conversation that started before I name changed with someone and they sent me another message just yesterday. The from and to are in my original name, Tee2072. But if I start a new message it's in this name.

So the inbox keeps both names or however many names you have? But new ones are in your new name? So you could potentially out yourself, if you name changed for anonymity, if you're not paying attention and say something to someone in PM in your new name that only your old name knew?

Now I'm even more confused but perhaps you can see what I am saying?!?!

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 12-Oct-11 20:21:39

I do see, but I have no idea about the answer I'm afraid. Can you bear with me while I get some adult supervision?

Thanks
MNHQ

CotherMuckingFunt Wed 12-Oct-11 20:22:04

Oooo I wanted to know this earlier - spent hours changing back and forth.

ScaredTEECat Wed 12-Oct-11 20:22:27

Absolutely. In fact, take all the time you need!

caughtinanet Wed 12-Oct-11 20:24:03

I'm pretty sure that if you continue a conversation you started in your old name it carries on in that name.

ScaredTEECat Wed 12-Oct-11 20:25:18

Yes, it does caughtinanet, but my point is that if you are not paying attention and then start a new PM string, for lack of a better word, with the same person it uses your new name and perhaps you did not want that person to know your new name?

caughtinanet Wed 12-Oct-11 20:46:00

OK, I see your problem but I can't see a way round it unless you have two totally different log ons but you'd still have the problem of remembering which was which I suppose and you could still make the same mistake.

The perils of anonimity I guess grin

rushofbloodtothefeet Wed 12-Oct-11 20:50:56

I have noticed that if someone clicks 'message poster' for an old name the PM arrives in your Inbox addressed to that old name. What I'm not sure of is if you send a reply whether it reveals your new name to them - if it did that could really catch someone out confused

ScaredTEECat Wed 12-Oct-11 20:51:48

It's actually not a problem for me anyway, I only ever holiday name change and always have my original name embedded in the name change.

And of course there is a way around, when you name change you don't get PMs in your old name, only your new one! I assumed that's how it worked until I noticed the string with my old name.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 12-Oct-11 21:13:56

Right, I've asked Helen grin

Basically it is as you've all worked out: if you nc but continue a conversation within an existing PM chain, it will use your old name. But if you nc and start a new PM chain, it will use your new name. So people will have to be a bit careful (as is already the case with namechanging for Secret Squirrel purposes, of course).

We will have a think about whether we can add something to the 'Send Message' display making it really clear which name PMs are being sent from.

Thanks for flagging
MNHQ x

ScaredTEECat Thu 13-Oct-11 06:41:47

Cheers Rowan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now