Talk

Advanced search

Can't get to grips with the forum

(7 Posts)
FloweryRuna Fri 07-Oct-11 13:31:11

Hi,

I'm having some difficulty navigating the forum on MN.

First of all if there are many pages to one thread, how do I click on to view the next page? It just says "GO to page 1", other wise I have to click on "view all messages," making a very long page, difficult to scroll after a while.

If I'm looking at a topic, how can I find the name of the topic and what catagory forum it's in? It doesn't show it.

It took me a while to locate the forum list as it's on the right panel. I'm used to forums with all the links above the threads. I can't seen to find things such as "edit post". I also just found out where the emoticans are as I couldn't see them at the bottom.

Also does this forum have any avatars?

Thanks x

HarrietJones Fri 07-Oct-11 13:33:07

There isn't an edit post or avatars

FloweryRuna Fri 07-Oct-11 13:34:44

Also I can't find the location of my old posts. How do I subscribe to them? Is there a facility for that?

HarrietJones Fri 07-Oct-11 13:38:43

Threads I'm on will have any threads you've posted on or do a search by user name

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 07-Oct-11 13:52:39

At the bottom of a thread there is an option to "watch". Combined with a bookmark (right hand side of post) you will be taken back to your bookmarkedlace when you click on the thread title in "threads I'm watching".

If that doesn't sound too weird!

DamianTech (MNHQ) Fri 07-Oct-11 13:57:25

Hi FloweryRuna and welcome to Mumsnet. smile Do have a read of our Getting started guide, which will hopefully answer some of your questions.

Regarding what you have posted so far, threads you've replied to are listed under Threads I'm On (linked at the top of the page).

Topic categories aren't listed, but if you go to the main Talk page and click the "Show all" link (top right of the turquoise bar), all the categories will expand and you can search the page for the topic you're interested in (Ctrl+F or Cmd+F usually does this in your browser). You can Customise the topics page to always expand each category if you like.

On threads with multiple pages (we have a lot of these, MNers are a chatty lot grin) you can use the First/Previous/Next/Last links, just to the left of the "Go to page" box, to navigate through.

If you have more questions, ask! I'm sure the other Mumsnetters will be glad to help. Hope you enjoy your stay.

AMumInScotland Fri 07-Oct-11 13:59:38

To the left of where it says "Goto page X" there are links for First, Previous, Next and Last - those move you through the pages.

And a little higher up the page there will be a coloured bar with the area and topic you are in - those are also links which take you back to the list.

Your recent old posts are in the "Threads I'm On" section - you can set how many days they stay in there.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now