Talk

Advanced search

BoardReader???

(16 Posts)
5BottlesOfShampoo Sat 01-Oct-11 14:17:45

Hi, I've just come across a site called BoardReader, and it's a bit... erm... of a cause for concern? Is there anyway we can prevent BoardReader publishing our stats (eg, post counts and what I thought was a deleted thread)

I'll post a link here Was just wondering what people make of this? I came across this page after googling Mumsnet Feminist, and am a bit concerned, as this kinda leaves people open for being targeted? <possibly paranoid after quite a bit of trolling has taken place recently>

LowLevelWhingeing Sat 01-Oct-11 14:23:34

what is it you're concerned about?

5BottlesOfShampoo Sat 01-Oct-11 14:36:01

Right, if you have a look here you can see who is posting the most on FWR this week. FWR has been targeted by quite a few trolls recently, and I do worry that, if they're using BoardReader, they can work out who to target.

Also, as I said, they're displaying a thread which I can't find in search results on MN itself; I'm pretty sure it was deleted. That makes me uncomfortable, and I was just wondering what everyone else made of it.

CheeseandGherkins Sat 01-Oct-11 14:39:32

I'd assume it was a cached version which you can see using google or any other web browser, it's not specific to BoardReader. Let's be honest, if someone was going to the lengths of targetting someone then they wouldn't exactly be bothered by having to read the forum to see who posted a lot anyway.

onagar Sat 01-Oct-11 14:40:47

It's the nature of the internet. Google keeps copies and so does the Internet Archive and 100s of other places. Some are intended so that you can keep track of the posts on a number of forums you are interested in. There isn't anything that can be done about it and there probably shouldn't be though I can see why some might find it disconcerting at first.

Portofino Sat 01-Oct-11 14:48:00

I'm impressed that I made the Top contributors in Feminism in the first link! I feel a little proud .....

5BottlesOfShampoo Sat 01-Oct-11 14:57:10

Porto, you've just outed yourself... grin

LeBOF Sat 01-Oct-11 15:02:03

Does it make any difference if some of the top contributors are just saying the same thing many times though?

LeBOF Sat 01-Oct-11 15:02:45

wink

5BottlesOfShampoo Sat 01-Oct-11 15:05:31

I'm not sure... Bah, I had an OP that summed it up perfectly originally, then dropped the laptop, which sent it to boot, and lost everything. sad Typical me...

Portofino Sat 01-Oct-11 16:12:46

Probably not BOF grin

How did I out myself confused

Tee2072 Sat 01-Oct-11 16:17:09

Nothing is ever deleted from the internet. Remember that and you'll realize there is very little point in keeping anything a secret. Tell people once what your real name is, they'll be able to find it forever, even if MN deletes it.

In fact, technically, nothing is ever deleted from your own computer either. Not without some effort.

Don't want it saved forever? Don't say it.

And nothing to be done with sites like BoardReader. They are perfectly legal.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 01-Oct-11 17:43:24

Hello.

And yes Tee2702 has it to a tee, really <blush at pun>

Tis indeed the nature of the old interweb.

Tee2072 Sat 01-Oct-11 17:52:45

I usually do! grin

Tianc Sat 01-Oct-11 19:44:41

<waves stalker pom poms>

<reminds people to namechange regularly and for sensitive stuff. Or just to STFU>

5BottlesOfShampoo Sat 01-Oct-11 20:40:20

Sorry, Porto. Completely misread your first post on here... blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now