Talk

Advanced search

Can we count how many times a poster has posted on a thread?

(38 Posts)
BerylStreep Fri 30-Sep-11 23:23:28

Perhaps I am inhabiting AIBU too much, but I have found myself reading long threads and thinking to myself, 'yes, that point has been made before ...' until I realise, that yes, in fact it has been made many times before, by the same poster repeating ad infinitum.

It would be handy if there was a counter beside a poster e.g. BerylStreep - 5th post on this thread, or in the case of some of our, err, more opinionated persistent posters, 97th post on this thread.

Do you think it is a runner?

ChippingIn Fri 30-Sep-11 23:26:34

You can do it by ctrl + f (to get Find then putting the poster name in. It will give you a count of how many times the name was used and you can scroll though the thread (it highlights the words). Hope that makes sense!

But no - the counter is not a runner. Most of us don't give a toss how many times someone posts on a threadsmile

LauraIngallsWilder Fri 30-Sep-11 23:30:38

My simple answer is "who cares?"
statistical studies of mn threads - seems odd and pointless to me!

also MN is already way more cluttered than it used to bem, enough with the clutter (obviously I'm showing my MN age!!)

BerylStreep Fri 30-Sep-11 23:31:10

I find that I am so busy reading the actual posts, that I can't really concentrate on posters' names. There have been some threads lately where there have been real 'thread-hogs' and it would have been great just to be able to see ThreadHog '98th post' and be able to zone it out.

Will try the Ctl F thing.

ThreadHog Fri 30-Sep-11 23:34:14

Are you talking about me?

kitya Fri 30-Sep-11 23:40:07

I dont care either to be honest. It will do your head in if you start thinking about it!!

Pinot Sat 01-Oct-11 11:03:37

Ctrl F is the way to go. I don't much care though tbh.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 01-Oct-11 11:15:05

That was your 7807th post, Pinot <taps nose>

LeBOF Sat 01-Oct-11 11:16:02

What, since last week? <innocent>

crazynanna Sat 01-Oct-11 11:19:33

<sits under table for protection>
On Nethuns Netmums,it states how many posts you have written since joining,and it shows everytime you post. It also shows your joining date.
<legs it> grin

Hassled Sat 01-Oct-11 11:20:13

There used to be some Google (Analytics?) page people would occasionally link to - showing top posters of the week (quantity rather than quality) and other interesting stuff. But I can't find it anymore.

consult your spreadsheet

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 01-Oct-11 11:24:27

Hassled: 17040 <tee hee>

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 01-Oct-11 11:25:42

LeBOF

What, since last week? <innocent>

Yeah, well she's always bleeding name-changing, innit?

BOF: 40999

Pinot Sat 01-Oct-11 11:25:55

shock grin You know I luffs you mostest, HelenMumsnet.

LeBOF Sat 01-Oct-11 11:26:50

41000 posts! Woohoo! <goes for a lie down>

Pinot Sat 01-Oct-11 11:26:56

Boffy forty thousand posts?? Yeegods woman!

crazynanna Sat 01-Oct-11 11:27:43

I can imagine MNHQ sitting there watching a poster's tally clicking up and saying "God her again. What does she want this time?" grin

AnnieLobeseder Sat 01-Oct-11 11:31:38

Oooh, creepy that MNHQ can count us. Does that tally-er keep track of us across name-changes too?

But back to the OP's question, as others have said, CTRL-F is your friend. If you're using a newer Windows, a little box will top up top right for you to type (or copy/paste) the poster's name into and then it will highlight every time that name comes up, tell you how many instances and you can use the arrows in the box to jump from each name occurrence to the next. Just used it on the thread about weekly bin collections, actually!

heggertyhaggerty Sat 01-Oct-11 11:37:35

Oh God. I hate it when people say 'you have posted seven hundred times on this thread, will you shut up'

when the only reason you're still posting is because OTHER people are posting stuff which contradicts your point or asking you what you mean by it.

I hate people who say that.

CaptainNancy Sat 01-Oct-11 11:38:45

OMG! I seriously want to know howmany posts I've made overall... does this include namechanges?

Hassled Sat 01-Oct-11 11:41:12

17040 shock? What have I been doing with my life?

onagar Sat 01-Oct-11 13:17:58

You have to post again for the new poster who just turned up and said the same daft thing as the last 20.

You may have just established that it is not illegal to /BF in public/claim child benefit if you work/buy sweets for your DCs/ when someone says "Yeah but you know that's illegal don't you" and around you go again.

BerylStreep Sat 01-Oct-11 17:15:27

Perhaps whilst MN are counting posts, they could also count the number of threads where I am the final post on the thread. blush

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 01-Oct-11 19:43:26

BerylStreep

Perhaps whilst MN are counting posts, they could also count the number of threads where I am the final post on the thread. blush

Oh it's not the quantity, it's the QUALITY, Beryl wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now