Talk

Advanced search

Name amnesty

(16 Posts)
quidsi Sun 18-Sep-11 18:41:03

I realise this has been up before but just wondered if MNHQ had had any more thoughts about a name amnesty?
I am sure many of us are holding names that we no longer use and other posters are finding it hard to choose names.
What are the pros and cons of this?

5inthebed Sun 18-Sep-11 19:09:51

I really want "Pea"!

LeBOF Sun 18-Sep-11 19:13:11

Yes, I'm interested.

twotesttickles Sun 18-Sep-11 19:14:49

Ah but that would require us admitting we are massive namechangers.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 18-Sep-11 21:43:37

Hello,

We have discussed this before fairly recently.
We did have an amnesty way back and it was a Tech nightmare nical challenge.

We will have a look at this again when everyone is back in the office on Monday.

Pinot Mon 19-Sep-11 09:49:58

<cough>

BerylStreep Mon 19-Sep-11 17:26:50

But does that mean that if I give up BerylStreep, and then a future BerylStreep is a bit of a nightmare who gets into all sorts of fights with other people, then people can search her nickname and find all my boring non-contentious threads and think it is me? IYSWIM

twotesttickles Mon 19-Sep-11 18:53:02

Serves you all right for having no originality grin

<legs it>

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 19-Sep-11 20:33:10

<rocks in the corner remembering last amnesty>

LeBOF Mon 19-Sep-11 22:17:18

Will it be easier all round if I just pass you a brown envelope so I can have Bof, Olivia?

CaptainKirksNipples Mon 19-Sep-11 22:28:35

Is there not a way of being able to delete previous names and offer them to others? I have "sharted" << not actually grin>> if anyone wants it!?

quidsi Wed 21-Sep-11 14:29:35

Sorry Pinot - you have already suggested this haven't you? wonders if Olivia has finished rocking in the corner yet

Pinot Wed 21-Sep-11 16:24:27

I did but I think I scared all the HQers away into the pub with the thought of it!

FWIW I would like the option to delete a number of my nicknames from my list so I can't use them again and other folks can choose them. The times I used them previously, is there a way they can become a set of zeros or summat like that? Something to show that that person was using a nickname temporarily and it's not relevant anymore. That would solve the issue of the Search function bringing up old users of any given name, as well as the current owner.

Does that make any kind of sense? In brief, any MNer could self-delete names from their list and that action would trigger a deletion of said names in archive to a generic XXXX or 0000. Or indeed to NameDeleted.

Pinot Wed 21-Sep-11 16:25:01

Hoping that would involve as little Tech work as possible.

ReshapeWhileDave Tue 27-Sep-11 11:46:20

Along similar lines, is it at all possible to have a list of all names taken, so new posters and name-changers can avoid picking names that are too close to existing posters? Would save on a hell of a lot of aggro. grin

MOSagain Tue 27-Sep-11 21:20:11

I really wanted MOS as for years people have shortened me to MOS from my longer name. I have had to change my longer name for logistical reasons and have name changed a few times over recent months but couldn't find a name that felt 'right'. Just want to be MOS but apparently I can't sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now