Talk

Advanced search

how about renaming AIBU?

(43 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Thu 15-Sep-11 22:01:34

So, some posters, such as myself, trills, bibbity and biwi have been posting on threads in the aibu topic that don't belong there, that the threads are in the wrong place and reporting. So mnhq has been moving them (thank you btw) but there are posters who find this irritating. I think a big reason for the "aibu to tell you about the shoes I bought today" type threads is that people just post there without thinking about its function. And while the name was great when it was started, perhaps a clearer title would be better. Something like debates and rants.

Less random posting.

Gives newbies a better idea of its function.

Leaves less room for interpretation.

LemonDifficult Thu 15-Sep-11 22:03:46

And less reason for people to take the hump when people tell them that yes, they are being unreasonable and the shoes are fugly.

YankNCock Thu 15-Sep-11 22:04:08

Or maybe Mumsnet Jury?

I don't know. But it certainly is annoying having people use that section for everything! How are you supposed to find the good bunfights?

amistillsexy Thu 15-Sep-11 22:06:34

I get irritated by the posts that start 'not an AIBU but posted here as it gets most traffic...'
Surely if fewer people posted random things in AIBU there would be more traffic in other places? confused

LilRedWG Thu 15-Sep-11 22:07:14

Rename but please - for the love of all things Marmitey - do not create any more topics!

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 15-Sep-11 22:08:59

Not wanting to step on anybodies toes, but who can decide other than the OP as to whether something is allowed to be posted in AIBU?

IMO there are far too many topics now on Mumsnet, its impossible to know where the heck to post something.

(Yes, I have had a thread moved from AIBU to Chat, it didn't annoy me, except that it appeared in my "threads I'm on" twice, once in AIBU and once in Chat, though it was only in one place).

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 15-Sep-11 22:45:12

Hello
Thanks for this
I am in no position to be promising anything (other than lots of West Wing references) but we'll have a think about this.
grin

Maryz Thu 15-Sep-11 22:46:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 22:46:41

Should we be reading up?

workshy Thu 15-Sep-11 22:47:41

how about -post on here if you want everyone to have a go at you?

scary place :-(

Maryz Thu 15-Sep-11 22:49:09

OracleInaCoracle Thu 15-Sep-11 23:23:31

Thank you olivia, I agree that we don't need more topics, but aibu is too ambiguous imo.

OracleInaCoracle Thu 15-Sep-11 23:23:33

Thank you olivia, I agree that we don't need more topics, but aibu is too ambiguous imo.

SteelMagnolias Thu 15-Sep-11 23:29:30

_aibu might be the solution as Maryz has said

piprabbit Thu 15-Sep-11 23:38:18

I think it should be renamed Fight Club.

OracleInaCoracle Fri 16-Sep-11 17:22:37

I think its the title that is the problem. Just about anything can be phrased as an aibu, even if the content isn't.

OracleInaCoracle Fri 16-Sep-11 17:22:38

I think its the title that is the problem. Just about anything can be phrased as an aibu, even if the content isn't.

PonceyMcPonce Fri 16-Sep-11 17:24:29

A phrase from the sixties, that might be useful is

'am I alone in thinking?....'

To facilitate the odd judging rant

naturalbaby Fri 16-Sep-11 17:28:29

think think think

grin @ fightclub

scrap the whole topic, then most posters would have to grow up think about what they are typing before they post.

Pinot Fri 16-Sep-11 20:18:36

I like Maryz idea of whingers and whiners.

Orrrrrrr, call it "Things to do with courgettes" then no bugger will ever post there.

Problemo, solvedo.

LemonDifficult Fri 16-Sep-11 21:01:36

Loving Whingers and Whiners.

< wonders if Olivia was watching West Wing as CPD for dispute resolution on here>

Pinot got no Zero - did I miss the name auction? Shucks.

Maryz Fri 16-Sep-11 21:12:28

Pinot Fri 16-Sep-11 21:25:26

Nooo lemon I just begged and pleaded and wore them down wink The tech bods fixed me up <sounds pervy, wasn't>

How about "Flamingoes and Eagles" as the thread title? Eh OliviaMumsnet?

OracleInaCoracle Fri 16-Sep-11 21:27:18

<Flashes maryz so she doesn't feel so unloved>

Maryz Fri 16-Sep-11 21:45:46

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now