Talk

Advanced search

How to name change?

(14 Posts)
TiggyD Fri 02-Sep-11 21:56:56

Actually, it's not the name changing itself I'm interested in. It's the maintaining privacy when you do it.

I want to post something a bit confidential about myself. I'll change my name when I talk about it, and set my profile to private. I'll write in the thread, but then what? If I change my name back will my posts all revert to my usual name? Will people be able to see my profile from the temporary alias in the thread?

AurraSing Fri 02-Sep-11 22:12:16

No, the posts will stay with the namechange.
You could always do a test to double check, but non of my namechanges have reverted back to my original name. [smie]

ToggyD Fri 02-Sep-11 22:20:31

Testing, Testing, 1-2-3.

TiggyD Fri 02-Sep-11 22:22:08

Can anybody see Toggy's profile?

poppyknot Fri 02-Sep-11 22:24:03

Silly question - how do you keep the original name so that you can go back to it?

TiggyD Fri 02-Sep-11 22:24:37

I did get caught on on another site BTW. It was a new personal problem forum of a site and there was a glitch where you could see previous names of supposedly anonymous people. I'm a bit more cautious now.

TiggyD Fri 02-Sep-11 22:27:02

You change the name in 'registration details'. It's still the same account but just gives a different name by the look of it. It seems to work.

AurraSing Fri 02-Sep-11 22:28:30

no, I can't. You do realise that I'll be looking out for a namechange with a juicy dilema, don't you? grin
(I hope it's not too much of a difficult problem for you)

TiggyD Fri 02-Sep-11 22:31:24

It's not a problem for me at all. Might be for other people though, and I do like my privacy about the subject.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 03-Sep-11 11:00:37

Hello. Yes, your posts stay with your namechange - and your profile is tied to your nickname, so won't move to your new name unless you specifically move it.

And any nickname you choose or change to is, once attached to you, yours to keep and return to, if you want to. As others have said, you just need to go to My Mumsnet and registration details to change/revert.

Canistaysane Tue 06-Sep-11 11:28:17

So if you decided to change back to a nick name you used to be, how do you do that? do you just type it in the nick name box then click save?
I'm just curious!, And how many times are you allowed to name change?
Can you do it as often as you like?
I just wondered as sometimes I just fancy a change.

DamianTech (MNHQ) Tue 06-Sep-11 11:50:54

Canistaysane - that's correct, you can change as many times as you wish, just putting the nickname in the text box on registration details. There's a link next to it that allows you to browse your nickname history (in case you forget which ones are the best to use grin).

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 08-Sep-11 22:53:14

CanIstaysane- Damian is of course right but he forgot to remind every one that we don't allow name changes for misleading purposes though.
THanks
MNHQ

LittleMissProcrastinator Fri 09-Sep-11 15:42:15

Thanks DamianTech and Olivia
No I wouldn't want to mislead anyone, I would only name change cause I fancied a change or got bored of an old nickname.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now