Talk

Advanced search

To have a chat feature

(20 Posts)
boudiccasSideKick Thu 18-Aug-11 14:57:33

Hi

Thought it might be a good idea to just have a general chat feature. Noticing more and more that threads end up as general "chats" or banter between users, especially in evening.

Tee2072 Thu 18-Aug-11 15:27:53

If threads are already chatting, why do we need another chat feature?

rushofbloodtothefeet Thu 18-Aug-11 15:29:27

Half the fun of MN is lurking on someone elses chats!

boudiccasSideKick Thu 18-Aug-11 15:38:55

Yes but they often go way off tangent and end up in =nasty comment, take the piss land= "fluffy bun fights". I don't care, like a good ruck myself but tend to feel rather sorry for the OP.

boudiccasSideKick Thu 18-Aug-11 15:39:29

did the wrong symbols there! oops, lol.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Aug-11 18:25:26

Hi Op
Can you explain a bit more what you don't like about the current chat feature?
thanks

SuePurblybilt Thu 18-Aug-11 18:37:58

I don't get what you're saying OP, explain in case there are other thickos like me smile.
We have a Chat section, are you saying you want a chat thingy like MSN? Or that you want posters who 'know' one another not to de-rail threads? Or that people who 'know' one another should have different threads (we do have Quiches already)? Or that threads should always stay on-topic and new threads should be started if you want to pursue a tangent?
Also don't get " =nasty comment, take the piss land= "fluffy bun fights".", what does that mean?

Thanks.

ChippingIn Thu 18-Aug-11 18:39:45

A bit confused too...

boudiccasSideKick Thu 18-Aug-11 19:12:02

Maybe a chat thing where users can go and have a general chit chat about their day etc. or share a laugh? It just seems that sometimes the actual topic gets lost and we don't always help the OP. Or somewhere everyone can go to carry on with a bit of banter (which starts on particular thread)that has nothing to do with the original question. Only saying this because I have found things can get a bit out of control with the "tounge in cheek" banter stuff that starts up and as you know Olivia, I dont mind, I like a bit of venting a challenge but feel that in important threads its not helpful or respectful to the person who is sometimes in deep "real" trouble.

Hope I've made things a bit clearer for all? And thanks for taking the time to ask.

boudiccasSideKick Thu 18-Aug-11 19:16:36

Sorry not been on here for that long and someone just said that there is a chat thing already. Best investigate blush

SuePurblybilt Thu 18-Aug-11 19:18:11

I think, and feel free to disagree, that most posters are very respectful of genuine problems. You don't see in-jokes and chatter in Relationships or similar topics. If someone posts a big problem in AIBU or Chat they are often helpfully directed to another topic and can get the thread moved.

Off-topic, tangent chatting, de-railing and nonsense in AIBU or Chat tends to be self-regulating and leads to the funniest threads IMHO. There are a few who get precious and want a Serious Thread on a non-serious subject (or there have been recently anyway), granted and that's up to them - again, they have the option to post in the specific topic or get the thread moved.

I think what you're asking for is the Chat section we already haveconfused grin. Or I am still not getting what you mean <very dim today, it's been a long week>?

TrillianAstra Thu 18-Aug-11 19:18:57

If you start a thread in the section called "Chat" and title it "a general chat about my day, come and join in" then people probably will.

SuePurblybilt Thu 18-Aug-11 19:19:23

x posted. Here is chat.

boudiccasSideKick Thu 18-Aug-11 20:00:13

Ok, think I've finally got it <knocks head against wall> If on AIBU, everyone can say what they want and defend appropriately? Chat (which I have just found) ditto. Relationships threads aren't allowed to digress. Now finally understand! cheers!

SuePurblybilt Thu 18-Aug-11 20:05:41

Not not allowed, just that it tends to self-moderate I think. Don't take my word for it, I am not the authority on MN grin. Just that if you post a semi-serious topic in Chat, it is much more likely to be de-railed and chatted over than one in a proper topic like the SN board, Relationships,Parenting, Health.

I think it's more about respectful posting than actual hard and fast rules. I am very silly indeed but I wouldn't go on a wind up in SN or Relationships or Children's Health.

boudiccasSideKick Thu 18-Aug-11 21:49:25

Thanks Sue got it a bit more now x

ChippingIn Fri 19-Aug-11 00:25:16

Right - so... as you were then smile

<this is where we now change to topic to today's rain/bumsex/over moderation of the site/parking in a M&B space if you don't have a B....>

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Aug-11 09:46:54

<pulls the thread back just for a mo>

boudiccasSideKick you could have a look here for a few extra pointers.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Fri 19-Aug-11 09:48:15

private yahoo messenger style chat you mean?

Paschaelina Fri 19-Aug-11 10:02:14

PMs but in a live chat instant message format? I think that's a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now