Talk

Advanced search

Can we please have a spell check feature? (pretty please with a cherry on top and kittens on the side)?

(9 Posts)
LolaRennt Wed 17-Aug-11 16:19:52

For many of us spelling isn't our strong point and on a forum like mumsnet where spelling gets picked up on and whr txt spk is not considered acceptable should we have a spell check feature?

I sometime when I write an OP will spell check in my email account but it is kind of a pain in the arse and when I am in a fast paced thread it really is not worth it because by the time I open another window,open my email c&p back in to mumsnet my point is lost.

I know there are a few people with dyslexia on the board who regulary get comments (not that they should, but some people can't help themselves it seems) this would help them get their points across more efficiently as well.

HangingGarden Wed 17-Aug-11 17:30:33

What browser are you using? I am assuming though that you are at a computer of some description rather than on a phone/blackberry. I get the usual red lines under any misspellings using either Firefox or IE... maybe you should post under Site Stuff for the clever folk at MNHQ?

FlamingoBingo Wed 17-Aug-11 17:31:08

Download Chrome. It has an inbuilt spell checker.

Hassled Wed 17-Aug-11 17:34:03

But what would happen to the hilarious auto-correct errors? I enjoy spending time wondering what the hell word they meant to type in the first place.

If you make a spelling mistake in Pedants' Corner then you're fair game (I've know, I've made a spelling mistake in Pedants' Corner) but otherwise I don't think anyone should worry and that on the whole people are pretty tolerant. Or don't even notice.

Firefox has a spellcheck application - couldn't cope without it!

DamianTech (MNHQ) Wed 17-Aug-11 17:34:45

Most modern browsers come with a built-in spell checker, if you know which browser you are using I'm sure someone will be able to help you set it up, if it's not enabled already. smile

culturemulcher Wed 17-Aug-11 18:30:43

Would LOVE a spell checker. I find it very annoying that I can't - I'm dyslexic and live in fear of being picked up on my posts by pathetic pedants with too much time on their hands sensitive people

PinotsKittens Wed 17-Aug-11 18:40:46

Never mind that, why are the kittens on the side

LolaRennt Wed 17-Aug-11 18:57:01

Kittens would fall off and hurt their little noses. Don't be so silly Pinot.

I will break down and install some sort of browser spell check.Grrrrrrrrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now