Talk

Advanced search

When a thread is deleted...

(17 Posts)
ThePosieParker Mon 15-Aug-11 11:50:29

Could MN leave a message to say it's been deleted with the warning about starting another being against the rules and leaving that thread up for 7 days, closed for comments.

HopeEternal Mon 15-Aug-11 12:40:11

I too would like HQ to consider this.

I think it is right that the threads are deleted but invariably this results in other threads springing up asking what happened / where did the thread go / ooooh, what thread are you talking about / lather, rinse, repeat.

Surely it would be easier for HQ in the long run to preempt this by doing what ThePosieParker suggests.

PrincessFiorimonde Mon 15-Aug-11 12:42:50

Another one who agrees with this.

Maryz Mon 15-Aug-11 13:09:21

Yes, I agree too.

It doesn't even need to be 7 days - usually the following morning will be sufficient for those who went to bed at the height of it and get up the following morning to a host of "what happened" posts.

The original mumsnet explanation under the title of the thread would be enough.

MissPenteuth Mon 15-Aug-11 13:12:00

Good idea. Agree with Maryz, just the thread title and reason for deletion would be sufficient.

JemimaMuddledUp Mon 15-Aug-11 13:15:05

When a thread is deleted do they let the OP know? Or does it just disappear? I am trying to find one that I started and I think it may have been deleted.

HedleyLamarr Mon 15-Aug-11 13:41:25

Broadly speaking I agree, but seven days is too long. 24 hours is long enough imo.

PrincessFiorimonde Mon 15-Aug-11 13:50:16

Yes, I think 24 hours would be long enough. As Maryz says, most people look for the thread the next morning. Others might not look till later in the day, but 24 hours would cover it. And just the thread title and a message from MNHQ to the effect that it's been deleted should do the trick.

Jemima, have you tried emailing MNHQ to ask?

ThePosieParker Mon 15-Aug-11 14:03:18

24 hours suits me!! It would certainly halt any 'where's the thread gone?' threads.

musicposy Mon 15-Aug-11 14:53:43

Absolutely, I suggested this too on the other thread this morning. I agree with you Posie, all it would need is the title and the reason for deletion.

I like your suggestion too about a warning over starting other threads. This would stop all the post analysis and navel gazing that inevitably happens because people are curious to know what happened. I can see exactly why these threads start because people wake up, look for a thread, and are out of the loop so ask what happened. This would stop all of it and saved "watched" or "I'm on" threads just disappearing out of the blue.

Come on MNHQ, how about it?

LongWayRound Mon 15-Aug-11 14:54:38

Another vote in favour of Posie's proposal.

TottWriter Mon 15-Aug-11 15:00:43

Adding my vote to this. If a thread has been deleted, it will be good reason, and this stops the thread (or the troublemaker on the thread) getting more attention in the forums or other threads appearing asking what happened to it.

I started a thread asking where another thread was. It wasn't meant to be a threat about a thread, it was a genuine enquiry to find out if it had been deleted because I couldn't find it and wanted to know the outcome. Now my thread has disappeared. They should at least tell the OP what's happened - especially if the OP has done nothing wrong except maybe overstep some bit of protocol they weren't particuarly aware of. <grumps>

AuntieMonica Mon 15-Aug-11 15:05:49

I'm all for this, the original thread title and a line from MNHQ saying it's been deleted for trollery/at OPs req etc would cut a lot mystery out.

TheRealMBJ Mon 15-Aug-11 15:11:01

I agree too. Keep the title and a brief explanation. No more than a sentence is needed just saying troll/OP request etc, etc. I think here will still. Be loads of spin-off threads but at least the explanation will be visible for a little longer.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 15-Aug-11 15:13:22

I also agree. Keep original thread title, delete all non mnhq posts (keeping deletion explanation). However I would prefer thread to be sticky at top of board for 48hrs and then thread be left to disappear naturally ie 90 days in chat. The thread should not be removed from watching/ tio lists.

Demanding? Moi?

handsomeharry Mon 15-Aug-11 17:03:20

I think it's a really good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now