Talk

Advanced search

Reporting PMs

(13 Posts)
SuePurblybilt Thu 04-Aug-11 15:13:58

If you get a nasty PM, is there a way to report it easily - I cannot see one? Could you look into a 'report message' button or a forwarding tool to bring the message to MN's attention?

Apologies if there is an easy way and I have missed it.

NetworkGuy Thu 04-Aug-11 16:51:18

Sending e-mail to contactus@mumsnet.com should get it sorted.

This question of unwelcome PMs has been raised before.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Aug-11 16:53:43

Hi SuePurblyBilt.

Thanks for raising this. Yes, currently we do say in our PM guidelines that you should mail contactus@mumsnet.com

But perhaps adding a Report function would make more sense. We'll look into it.

SuePurblybilt Thu 04-Aug-11 16:54:09

Well yes, I did figure it out - in the end I copied, pasted and reported my own post to send it off so I should imagine it'll come to the same end. I just thought a 'report pm' clicky on the message might make life easier. For u anyway grin, you'd get loads more reported mails I imagine.

Sorry if it's been done before, I didn't realise.

SuePurblybilt Thu 04-Aug-11 16:55:08

Sorry, x posted with Helen.
Thanks for the response. And please ignore the 'u', it is poor typing and NOT textspeak <looks around nervously for the flames and pitchforks>

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 13-Aug-11 16:18:35

Hello. All PMs now have a Report the message link at the top. smile

TheDailyWail Tue 16-Aug-11 09:41:41

It's quite sad that there needs to be this facility. sad

NetworkGuy Tue 16-Aug-11 10:43:34

Unfortunately, some people "take offence" at getting a personal message. Here's what I got when I asked something in parallel to a threat (state of mind of a regular was being discussed, with/without her viewing - it was not clear as her posts were infrequent but worrying. Someone else posted something, I queried it and the following came my way :-

"and why are you PMing this rather than dealing with it on the thread?

I'm quite happy to back up my post in public.

i don't need to be harrangued in my inbox about it."

So my decision to query something sensitive separately was under fire. Of course she could have blocked me, and not responded if she wanted, but that was back in December and because it was a temporary (Christmas) name I never know if I might 'offend' again, simply by sending her (under another nick) a PM if there is some situation where I feel a PM is preferable to posting inside a thread.

ChrisPBacon Tue 16-Aug-11 10:59:04

Never had a dodgy PM, have had some v nice ones.

I would report it by opening up a thread, C&P it in there and drawing everyone's attention to the way losers behave

POinting & laughing is the way ahead

NetworkGuy Tue 16-Aug-11 14:44:38

Unfortunately (a) there might have been a 'dodgy' PM sent by mistake (have you never clicked the wrong 'Message poster' entry, and what one person may find funny, could offend an accidental recipient, and (b) if there are personal attacks made on this so-called 'loser', then posting the message in a public thread might be seen as intending for the person to be 'attacked', and would not be something MNHQ favours, I feel sure.

MNHQ seems to prefer to deal with matters very much 'behind the scenes' as there can be a poor image presented if the actions of posters goes far out of control, and some threads do include a lot of vitriol...

LeninGrad Tue 16-Aug-11 23:57:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NetworkGuy Wed 17-Aug-11 04:48:11

I'm sure it depends on context (and content). Dozens of PMs sent, dozens received, and for the vast majority, content would not be appropriate on the thread.

In many there may be 'privacy issues' where one might be explaining situations in one's own family which parallel something a thread contributor is asking about.

Thumbwitch Wed 17-Aug-11 05:00:20

ChrisPBacon, your suggestion has overtones of "witch hunt" about it and I personally don't think it's a very good way of dealing with it. Reporting the PM to MNHQ and letting them deal with it seems more appropriate.

I have put things in a PM to posters sometimes because I think that the information I wish to give them is too personal for the open thread. So far no one has complained, most people thank me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now