Talk

Advanced search

Any word from MNHQ about another name auction? And while we're at it...

(29 Posts)
BitOfFun Wed 03-Aug-11 16:41:05

Would it be possible to have a function when trying to namechange, where you can just check a name's availability without actually bagsying it? I often think of good names, but dont necessarily want them myself, but just to suggest them to other people. There is no way of checking if it's already taken or not, without actually acquiring it yourself.

What do you think?

NetworkGuy Thu 04-Aug-11 10:52:55

Sounds fairly reasonable ... can see how someone might suggest a name for a friend.

It probably only needs a minor change to http://www.mumsnet.com/Profile?nick=xxxxxx

so if xxxxxx does not exist, it says something a bit different to the normal (either showing a profile, or saying that the profile isn't public or has not been created)...

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Aug-11 16:56:42

Hello. And thanks BOF, we'll think about that.

Re the name auction - we're not ignoring you; we're just thinking it might be best to save something like that for after the summer hols or you'll nick all the best ones

BitOfFun Thu 04-Aug-11 16:59:25

True grin

SuePurblybilt Thu 04-Aug-11 17:05:36

I would like (am full of 'helpful' ideas today) a function when namechanging that points out very similar names. So if I chose Iloveponies, MN would say yes because there isn't an iloveponies. But there is a prolific poster called Iheartponies and one with extreme rightwing views called Ilovesponiesme. MN could point this out or suggest alternatives, as hotmail or similar does when you choose an email address. Avoiding annoying 'Iloveponies1980' names obviously.

Not a huge problem, clearly, but so many names have been done before now. Just think of the poor newbie-to-come who chooses Daftypunk grin

MonsterBookOfTysons Thu 04-Aug-11 17:10:18

I would like it if non active user names have there accounts stopped so I we can all have more choice.
It is very annoying when you choice a name, advance search as you get told No and realise that poster has never posted.
I only mean delete after a certain amount of years and only if they have never posted before or it would get confusing. smile

fraktious Thu 04-Aug-11 17:11:09

How does the name auction work? Would any of my carefully stored up for an appropriate occasion names be forcibly nabbed or is it just inactive accounts?

Maryz Thu 04-Aug-11 17:27:22

While you are at it, why don't you suggest that people who have bagged names for emergency use only, or because it seemed like a good idea at the time, could voluntarily give them back? Obviously not including names they are hanging on to for a reason, or seasonal names.

For example, I nabbed yummiescrummiemummieofanitsylo (which obviously should have been YummieScrummieMummieOfAnItsyLO) one day in case I ever needed to troll use it, but would be happy to give it back if anyone would like it grin. I also volunteer to give AF back ObnoxiousFucker which I took at one stage, just for fun, but don't have the guts to use.

There must be loads of names people have but don't actually want.

CaptainNancy Thu 04-Aug-11 23:20:55

<<drums fingers nervously>>

TrillianAstra Thu 04-Aug-11 23:27:18

<mutter mutter mutter name auction>

Be careful if you say you want a name.

It may turn out that someone used it once 3 years ago but the minute you say you want it they will revive it just to piss you off, and everyone will think they are you.

Valpollicella Thu 04-Aug-11 23:28:10

What's the criteria though? How long doesn't a name have to have posted for? Or would it just be names that have been registered aeons ago and never posted?

TrillianAstra Thu 04-Aug-11 23:42:04

I think the rule was only names that had never posted ever even once

DamianTech (MNHQ) Fri 05-Aug-11 09:35:42

It's not the most polished thing, but you can check for nickname availabilithy without claiming it by typing it into the join page. You can access this page whilst logged in, though I wouldn't recommend submitting it. wink

thesurgeonsmate Fri 05-Aug-11 09:46:15

I have a question about namechanging that didn't seem worth a thread of its own, can I ask it here, as there's been a reference to "storing" names. So - if you change your name, it looks like you literally change it but can you change it back? Or, do you start a new account giving a selection of names? Would this depend on you having a selection of email adresses? Or do you store names by using them once, changing back, and then only you could use that name again by name changing again? There are obviously some power users on this thread who could explain this to me.

TrillianAstra Fri 05-Aug-11 10:39:44

If you change your name to something else, now no-one else can ever use that name. Even if you don't post with it.

thesurgeonsmate Fri 05-Aug-11 10:48:08

So you change your name back, and that name is dead to the world? You could re-change your name to that, though?

TrillianAstra Fri 05-Aug-11 10:52:07

You can re-change to any name you have previously changed to.

No-one else can ever change to it.

Even if you've never posted.

But this thread is talking about taking unused-but-reserved names away from people and selling them off for charity.

QuintessentialShadows Fri 05-Aug-11 10:52:54

Yes, like I alternate between QuintessentialShadow and QuintessentialShadows in plural. Or something else entirely for Christmas, and then change back. You aquire "for life" any name you change to for a millisecond, and can change between these, and any new ones you come up with without giving up any name.

(I have a huge amount of names, to be honest, and rarely use them, due to makeing quick name changes for fun(

thesurgeonsmate Fri 05-Aug-11 10:57:29

OK, I understand this now and can make a bit more sense of the hi-jinks and antics I see described. Many thanks. I'll be watching out for the subtle differences in your name from now on, Quint.

QuintessentialShadow Fri 05-Aug-11 11:19:15

It is nothing sinister. grin
The plural was set up when I still lived in London, and the profile has lots of uk related photos (not visible now, I think), the singular was set up after my move, and the pics are from Norway. But most member dos seasonal namechanges. For example, my Easter name was QuintessentiallyAnEmptyCave, or something like that. AnyFucker was AnyFuckerForMincePie (which is very memorable). stuff like this.

Maryz Fri 05-Aug-11 11:22:06

For example, the surgeonsmate, you might like to bag "TheSturgeonsMate" which is what I thought you were blush (preferably with capitals to avoid the mumsnet capitalisation police - I'm not sure what you should do about the mumsnet italics police).

Otherwise someone might try to piss you off impersonate you and confused everyone.

AbsDuCroissant Fri 05-Aug-11 11:27:16

Could this lead to a black market in MN names? BoF around the back of a dirty caff exchanging all her name changes for dirty lucre?

If so, that would be AMAZING.

MadameLupino Fri 05-Aug-11 12:04:17

Boff in the Caff of Shame with a dirty mack, all pinned inside with lovely names. Spoonerisms, genuine article, half price. Something for the little lady. Lovely.

AwesomePan Sat 06-Aug-11 14:10:54

On a related theme....I can't name-change back to Pan! The reg. detail tells me it's already in use. Yes. By me!
I've asked HQ to see to this, but surprisingly they appear to have much better things to do. Odd.grin
Any help here please? tia

F1lthym1ndedvixen Sat 06-Aug-11 14:14:13

I have a million names which i can't use because i once de-regged....I do sometimes wake up in the wee hours thinking ''by jove, THAT'D be a fab name. Then find out I already once had it and tis now lost forever....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now