VelveteenRabbit Mon 11-Jul-11 14:13:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 11-Jul-11 14:23:17

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 11-Jul-11 14:25:09

Go on, name names. I dare ya.. wink

(p.s. I have noticed it too)

Tee2072 Mon 11-Jul-11 14:27:22

Yawn Is it time for this thread again? Already?

Can't we at least complain about something new and original? How about...I can never find the Twitter feed on the site and have done some brilliant stuff with @mumsnettowers attached that all of MN must read.

Now that's an issue for MNHQ. Not the behaviour of the adults on their site.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 11-Jul-11 14:27:22

The OP is a bit too general, we need more info. Not names so much as threads this has happened on.

Having said that, I've been here a few years now and definitely have less patience with eejits than I used to have and would usually tell them as well.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 11-Jul-11 14:27:45

Emmerybored Mon 11-Jul-11 14:32:13

Having only been on mn a month i dont know what it was like before but my very first thread was met with unrelated life question like what kind of dog owner are you ect. i now stay on one thread where there is none of that but thought this was going to be a place where advice was given and friends were made.
its a bit scary out there i will say.
I have seen thread where people have been ripped to shreds for just asking for a little help or accused of being a peado for posting old memories.
i totally agree that something should be done about it but im afraid apart from reporting the people who think its ok to be like that there isnt much we can do.
OR IS THERE??

BeerTricksPotter Mon 11-Jul-11 14:36:35

BeerTricksPotter Mon 11-Jul-11 14:37:11

Emmerybored Mon 11-Jul-11 14:41:05

i agree beer i have seen lovelyness on here but i just dont think there is enough of that compared to the amount of bad stuff

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Mon 11-Jul-11 14:41:22

I honestly haven't noticed any difference. It's always been like this. Lots of lovely, helpful and supportive stuff - and lots of scraps.

As to what can be done about it. God knows. I'm not sure anything can, without going down the heavy censorship route a la netmums. I would, personally, rather click away from the fights and leave them to it than find myself in a place where you can't even most respectfully disagree.

LoonyRationalist Mon 11-Jul-11 14:41:26

IME the majority of posters are reasonable, supportive & definatelly not "nasty". If all posters report posts which are as you describe then they will all dissapear. I have a policy of not getting drawn in nowadays, just gently hit report ;)

LawrieMarlow Mon 11-Jul-11 14:42:47

Threads like this happen quite often. Yes, some parts of MN are nest of viper like. Some parts aren't. It is comes around every now and again.

If there are sections you don't like, hide those sections. Report posters you feel are doing something against others. And we can just stop using Mumsnet shock if we want.

VelveteenRabbit Mon 11-Jul-11 14:43:38

Mx5lovesHerBabies Mon 11-Jul-11 14:43:48

I don't tend to go on alot of threads that seem too personal anymore.I go on a thread where I can post what I am feeling and know I will get support and, well the truth.Which is what we want without the bitching!

Since I have been on mn though I have come across people who just want to stir trouble and just be mean! To them I say 'get a life' but other than report them as beer said there is not much we can do. But I have also come across alot of people who have been lovely.

I have been fortunate though really that I have had a lot of nice conversations with nice people but I have seen things that have been blown out of proportion in the past and recently.

AliGregoryTheAllegory Mon 11-Jul-11 14:43:58

There used to be more of a 'tough love' feel to the site. That is still here in the main but there are most definitely some quite nasty posters about at the mo. It truly wasn't always like this - do a search for threads around 2006 / 2007 and you will see a big difference in posting styles. I suppose the more extreme posters are getting more so - perhaps to stand out, i don't know. I suspect that i'm not the only poster that's been a round for 5 or so years and find themselves coming on here less and less - the blogs aren't helping either they're just journalists being wanky

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 11-Jul-11 14:45:30

Lordy, I wasn't being serious! smile

I was wondering when this thread would appear though, as there seem to be a few more fighting threads than usual..

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 11-Jul-11 14:45:38

I am in a bad mood today and have been tetchy and pretty short on a couple of threads today. So if you were meaning me, OP, then I apologise.

(In my defence, I have also posted a very long, supportive thread to someone else, so hopefully that cancels out my bad moody posting grin)

posterofagirl Mon 11-Jul-11 14:45:49

I've seen more supportive posts than bitchy ones by a country mile.

Some of the more nasty threads have been self inflicted by the op posting in AIBU or posting deliberately inflammatory twaddle. IMO anyway.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Mon 11-Jul-11 14:46:29

STOP using mumsnet? <faints>

NerfHerder Mon 11-Jul-11 14:47:05

VR- you need to keep away from AIBU- much nicer away from there.

Who did you used to be? (only noticed your name recently)

Maryz Mon 11-Jul-11 14:47:23

But 99% of the site is lovely, supportive, welcoming. In fact if you avoid AIBU you see very little bitching or unpleasantness.

And in my opinion, sometimes long-time posters get pissed off at having to repeat themselves ad nauseum on certain topics (especially in the aibu section where op's are so obviously being absolutely unreasonable), so get a bit arsey at times. Mostly the op's deserve that arsyness, though I accept there are occasional exceptions.

You need to challenge on the thread, if you see comments or posts you don't like. Or call in the cavalry contact mumsnet towers who will come along and tell everyone to play nicely.

VelveteenRabbit Mon 11-Jul-11 14:48:16

VelveteenRabbit Mon 11-Jul-11 14:49:36

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now