Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

please can we have a space

(28 Posts)
sparky12345 Fri 08-Jul-11 22:59:59

im asking if we can have a space for women with life limiting/terminal illnesses/conditions please?
im not asking for a "misery"board but a safe annon space where women can go and get support/give support and know that others understand.
a place where we could laugh and cry together and if need be give a hand up!
there is a space for almost anything on mn but there isnt a space for this and i feel its important.
mn is a big place and im sure that some women would be glad of a space like this.
thankyou
sparky.

DontCallMePeanut Fri 08-Jul-11 23:18:14

Agree with Sparky.

LesserOfTwoWeevils Sat 09-Jul-11 00:24:44

me too

SardineQueen Sat 09-Jul-11 12:56:34

Good idea.

travellingwilbury Sat 09-Jul-11 12:57:06

I think is sounds like a good idea too .

It would be a place that we would all hope to never need but I am sure we would be thankful it was there if we ever did .

sparky12345 Sat 09-Jul-11 13:52:18

thankyou
well i thought it would possibly be a good thing for others aswell
eg-a friend/sis/daughter ect who has a relitive in this posision and dont know what to say/do.
sometimes people are uncomfatable asking questions and dont want to "put theyre foot in it"!
also-theres a lot that others dont realise sometimes-so having the board could be helpful all round i think.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 09-Jul-11 15:06:15

I'm not saying I'm against the idea, and see that it has value, but worry that if it's not a busy board someone in great and immediate need of support could go ignored and unseen.

UsingMainlySpells Sat 09-Jul-11 15:10:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sparky12345 Sat 09-Jul-11 16:42:35

yep-i agree with you Oldladyknows-i have thought of that and im trying to think of what could be done about this.
youres seems a good idea usingmainly.

Catitainahatita Sat 09-Jul-11 18:16:39

Sounds like a good idea. It might be quiet at first, but once it got going I would imagine that with a good title and put in the right section (someone tell me which) it would soon take off.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 09-Jul-11 18:43:09

Thanks for the suggestion Sparky and everyone for your comments.
Please do continue to discuss the idea.
Perhaps have a think about which section it could go in and possible names and we will have a talk in the office on Monday when everyone is around.

Best
MNHQ

sparky12345 Sat 09-Jul-11 19:26:22

thankyou Rebecca
well-i was thinking either-talk/health or talk/other stuff?
and maybe give it a name opposed to something like"life limiting/terminal conditions?

TheOriginalFAB Sat 09-Jul-11 19:35:01

I think it is a great idea and I really hope it doesn't get used or needed very much.

sparky12345 Sat 09-Jul-11 19:47:48

what about simply calling the group "philia"[goddess=friendship]?
right-ill be quite nowsmile

sparky12345 Sat 09-Jul-11 19:51:28

actually-ignore my last post-ive just realised that this name sounds too much like something else.
ill keep thinking.

sparky12345 Sat 09-Jul-11 19:56:17

what about calling it "Amazon"?a nice strong and undepressing name?
right-ill definatly be quite now!

MotherLoose Sat 09-Jul-11 20:58:28

Just posting to support sparky's idea

LineRunner Sat 09-Jul-11 22:16:16

I'm posting to support this idea.

I would like to see it under Health (where someone who wants to talk about life limiting conditions and terminal illness, and/or who seeks help and support, would most naturally look).

Perhaps it be called Health - Life Limits, or something similar.

garlicnutter Sat 09-Jul-11 23:36:53

Supporting. I like Life Limits, and also think Health would be the obvious place ... but I'm not target audience yet thank goodness, so I'll leave it to the experts.

My best friend died after a looooong illness with cancer. It was quite hard to know what to say, as some days she'd be really pissed off if you even asked how she was feeling, then other days she'd be all vulnerable and need lots of care. So I can see how it'd be helpful to have other people around who 'get' it.

Good luck!

travellingwilbury Sun 10-Jul-11 15:04:56

What about "The Hospice" as a title ? Or is that too bleurgh ?

I do think the title is a really tough one , it has to say what it is but at the same time not sound too scary I suppose .

Or going the other way and just calling it "Oh shite" could work . wink

sparky12345 Sun 10-Jul-11 22:23:28

thankyou for supporting this thread everyone.
yep-i agree that it should be in health and named-life limits.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Jul-11 17:37:32

Et voila!

garlicnutter Mon 11-Jul-11 17:49:35

Whoo-hoo!
You'd better start a thread Sparky grin

travellingwilbury Mon 11-Jul-11 18:23:30

Can I just ask on here , would those of you needing the topic want others to join in or do you want it kept to personal stuff between people going through similar ?

sparky12345 Mon 11-Jul-11 19:12:44

well-i dont own the space Travellingsmile but my view is-
its open to all that are affected by life limiting/terminal conditions and the space should have the same respect as other spaces-eg special needs/bereavement ect ect.
so if any one is affected in anyway-someone who has a condition or a reliltive or friend-feel free to post.
obviously not my group and if others feel diffrent-please say so.
probably as time goes on we ll have a better idea of what people want-and go from there i suppose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now