Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet's integrity

(41 Posts)
GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Jul-11 22:50:21

I was going to email MNHQ but thought a thread would be better.

There have been several threads in the last few months where mumsnetters have questioned how much mumsnet has changed recently. Evidently mumsnet is getting more popular, and I, along with several others, have bleated on about MNHQ decisions being 'different' in light of what has been seen to be a demographic change. There have certainly been mutterings about the fact that some mumsnetters think that MN is viewed as a money making business, and is not the cosy old forum of old, and I think Justine et al have been on the receiving end of a certain amount of criticism.

However, on the 'NOTW are scumbags' thread (or whatever it is called) there were several posts early on questioning MN advertising Sky. Within hours Justine confirmed that they had removed all Sky advertising, at a cost of £30K. Evidently this shows that MN still holds the views of its members in very high regard. And presumably £30K is quite a significant to wave bye-bye to for a business such as this.

Considering that big players such as Tesco etc were fudging about whether they would advertise in the NOTW (never mind the rest of News International, and other Rupert Murdoch owned media) I think that MN's stance on this is highly commendable, and my respect for the owners of this forum has increased hugely.

Yes, you could say that it is in MN's best interests to support the Guardian's stance (for personal reasons of the owners) however MN have put their money where their mouth is, so to speak, and that is, in this cynical age, something to admire.

Well done MN (hard to say that without sounding pompous)

hellyeah Fri 08-Jul-11 22:51:42

well said

travellingwilbury Fri 08-Jul-11 22:55:24

Agree completely .

I for one was really pleased to see the decision made so early on .

Besom Fri 08-Jul-11 22:56:59

I had the same thought this morning, but I wouldn't have articulated it so well.

Gillg57 Fri 08-Jul-11 22:59:38

Good progress. But the NOTW was not the only paper involved in phone hacking. Let's just focus on blocking the BSkyB deal which really would be a victory.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Jul-11 23:00:38

Agree gillg - the NOTW and all the other tabloids is one thing to fight, but the BskyB deal.

BornSicky Fri 08-Jul-11 23:00:46

very well said. I think i posted the first comment about the sky/mumsnet relationship and I possibly came off a bit snide (I was still miffed about McDonalds). However, I was proven so wrong and apologise for have a pop.

Thanks Justine, really, thanks.

Brilliant to see someone with that much integrity, that also supports their members so strongly.

You're miles ahead of the rest.

mrsdonkeybucket Fri 08-Jul-11 23:04:09

Thanks for this, GetOrf. smile

I said Well Done to Justine as soon as I noticed on 'other thread'.

But am more than happy to say it again.

Well Done, MN !

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Jul-11 23:04:50

Agree bornsicky.

I have plently of times said 'youy wouldn't have done this Justine in the good ol' days'

But when something actually matters, look what they did.

OracleInaCoracle Fri 08-Jul-11 23:06:18

<pins "what getorf said" badge to less than ample bosom>

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Jul-11 23:08:17

I feel your pain lissie <looks down at inedequate bosom>

thefirstMrsDeVere Fri 08-Jul-11 23:09:10

I was very impressed.

I am sorry in advanced if this sound a bit 'me me' but

I was deeply affected by the Milly Dowler trial and the way her family were treated. Milly was the same age as my Billie. I spent the week of the trial getting lower and lower. I found it so depressing and felt desperate for her family.
Then when the phone hacking came to light it got even worse. I felt so angry but impotent.
Then I found that I wasnt, that I could express my disgust via MN and FB and it seemed to be actually making a difference. I know I wasnt the only one who asked MN to look at the SKY promotion but when the pulled it I felt that somehow I had done something that might just touch the Dowler family.

I am very impressed at their actions. In a couple of weeks where we seemed to have plumbed the very depths of depravity MN has shone a little bit of light.

I know that all might sound a bit bleugh bleugh so sorry. smile

animula Fri 08-Jul-11 23:10:33

Don't think I'd have liked my integrity tested to the tune of 30K. Not sure I'd have "passed". grin

Nice thread. smile

NorksAreMessy Fri 08-Jul-11 23:12:11

Both Norks resplendant - "three cheers for Justine" badge on one, and "I always agree with GetOrf" on the other.

Thank you for starting this thread. I am very proud of MN at the moment

NorksAreMessy Fri 08-Jul-11 23:15:45

MrsD you are one of the elements of MN of which I am most proud. You did a cracking job and got us off our arses to actually DO something.

<Attaches third badge to ample Norkage "Three hips and a hooray for MrsD">

Hear hear. Top thread.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Jul-11 23:18:43

No no no MrsD don't apologise.

I for one (and I am not the only one I would bet) was hugely impressed and upset by what you posted. I can well imagine how upsetting it was for you with Millie Dowler being the same age as your Billie. As usual your posts shone with compassion and intelligence. <big hug, don't care if its not mumsnetty>

samels001 Fri 08-Jul-11 23:21:33

Mumsnet's Integrity - uummm! I've just queried the Innocent link up due to the high number of dubious + reviews pior to publication on Amazon for the Innocent recipe book being "promoted" on this site. It's apparently under investigation (still....)

Definitely more commercial than it was a few months ago.

thefirstMrsDeVere Fri 08-Jul-11 23:22:09

blush

reelingintheyears Fri 08-Jul-11 23:27:03

Milly Dowler was born on the same day as DD....

DD gets quite upset at the coverage and has sort of identified with the whole stuff.

There are so many of these awful stories but some stick with you forever..

I still remember vividly Maria Caldwell.

Good for MN.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Jul-11 23:28:11

Oh well samel I cam cope with MN being a bit hard nosed and commercisl-minded re fruit juice drinks, when they have the balls to stand up to Murdoch media.

Tortington Fri 08-Jul-11 23:29:29

kiss arse

LRDTheFeministNutcase Fri 08-Jul-11 23:30:29

Aw, what a nice thread! Good on you MN and good on you GetOrf for starting this. smile

(Now, how about sorting out those persistent trolls in Feminism? wink)

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Jul-11 23:32:38

Shurrup custy. I am 80% twat on mumsnet so can be nice for once.

<crumpets>

<toast and butter>

<gloats with more delicious carbs. grin wink

Jajas Fri 08-Jul-11 23:33:17

Agree GOML, fruit juice hardly in the same league as Murdoch empire!

I want to add my approval for quick removal and well done Justine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now