Talk

Advanced search

Do you work for a Family Friendly company? Tell us about them here!

(63 Posts)
carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Jul-11 13:58:48

Mumsnet's Family Friendly Campaign is gathering momentum. If you haven't heard about it yet << where have you been?>> you can read more here.

Some great companies have signed up already - take a bow Pizza Express, BT, Talk Talk, PZ Cussons, 02, Cool Milk, SMV, Pearson smile - and we're talking to lots more, but would love to know if you work for a company or organisation (or know someone who works for a company or organisation) who would like to be part of the campaign and put themselves up for a Mumsnet Family Friendly Award.

If you want to nominate a company please send the contact name and email (and ideally telephone number) to familyfriendly@mumsnet.com and we'll be in touch (though promise not to mention your name if you'd rather we didn't!).

Thanks in advance

MNHQ

Tee2072 Thu 07-Jul-11 14:03:44

I work for a Family Friendly Company. I own it. And am the only employee. grin

Not what you're looking for? shock

nickelbabe Thu 07-Jul-11 14:04:35

Tee - i was just about to say that about me! grin

how spooky is that ?! grin

strandednomore Thu 07-Jul-11 14:07:34

GCHQ seems to be very family friendly, their employees seem to work very flexible hours, but they're probably too hush hush to be part of this campaign. I don't work for them but know loads who do. Sorry that's not much help is it?

Tee2072 Thu 07-Jul-11 14:14:53

Well, we are very Family Friendly, nickle!!!

Vickimumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Jul-11 16:25:22

I think setting up to work for yourself is a very family friendly solution! We do want to hear those stories smile

nickelbabe Thu 07-Jul-11 16:38:13

aw, thanks! grin

nickelbabe Thu 07-Jul-11 16:39:56

so, do we have to email for a pack, or... how does it work?

Vickimumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Jul-11 17:16:56

Welll.....at the moment we are targeting the big guys to get them to step up to the plate (sorry cliche blush) and membership involves a cost and audits etc. What we'd love is if folks like you and your business would share your stories so we can include them as case studies and shout about the fabulous ways that Mumsnetters are making ff work for them.

nickelbabe Thu 07-Jul-11 17:25:40

okay, I'll have a think about it and email something tomorrow (obviously I only MN when I'm at work blush)

carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jul-11 09:14:30

... and of course if you work for one of the big guys (or even medium sized guys) and they're not listed as having signed up and you think they should be - please send us their name and any contact you might have for someone relevant there (usually HR, CSR or marketing - but could be anyone interested) and we'll get on to them straight away. And do tell us what, if anything, the firm you work for is doing for families both internally and externally. Thanks all

stressheaderic Fri 08-Jul-11 09:35:20

My DP works for BT and for all their faults (and there are many), there are actually a very family-friendly company. Flexible working hours, parental leave arrangements, childcare vouchers.....certainly better than my public sector job anyway.

lisad123 Fri 08-Jul-11 10:33:41

I do work for a family friendly company but in my office they are lovely and family focused, however, the overall company suck so really cant add them

smallsheep Fri 08-Jul-11 12:49:51

I work for Little lamb nappies, they are fantastic! Esme & Nick (owners) have 6 children of their own so they are totally understanding. I could not ask for a better job, the hours are flexible, if our children are sick its no questions asked, they are happy for me to work from home answering emails, which means I can pick my son up from school. We can fetch our children to work in the holidays, as they specifically picked a warehouse somewhere we can do that, its so quiet on our estate, in the countryside, huge car park with very little traffic - off they go on their bikes. Its only me and my sister though so won't count sad
Can we have a best boss award?

philmassive Fri 08-Jul-11 12:49:58

My ds works for a so-called family friendly company, according to their policies, but in reality they are terrible. Don't be taken in just by what they say or claim on paper - talk to their actual employees and find out the truth.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 08-Jul-11 12:55:24

I have been working for myself/in my own company since 1996, for this very reason. I got sick and tired of pretending I didn't really have children.

I worked in marketing consultancy, and long hours are (or were) endemic, along with lots of meetings all over the country, or indeed the world.

When I found myself apologising for missing a meeting because my DS1 (then less than a year old) had suspected pneumonia and had been taken into hospital, I realised that priorities were very wrong. And then when I had a miscarriage, and took a week off sick, I realised how much of an inconvenience that was to the rest of my team, none of whom had taken up any of the slack on the projects I was working whilst I was away.

It's such a relief to be able to put things in the diary like 'nativity play' or 'parents' evening' without feeling guilty, and to know that my time will be actively protected to allow me to do those things.

porcupine11 Fri 08-Jul-11 14:55:41

I could tell you what is not one - the one that made me redundant while I was 7 months pregnant with my second baby, and told me my part time hours (4 days) were not transferable to any other job within the organisation. Hear hear philmassive - MN HQ are you going to publish the full list before the awards are made and allow current or previous employees to feedback on whether family friendly policies work in practice?

porcupine11 Fri 08-Jul-11 15:00:34

Interestingly, I just realized said company is v closely associated with Mumsnet. How ironic.

LadyinBlue Fri 08-Jul-11 15:03:32

I run a small business - a marketing/PR/Design company - and we are built around being family friendly. We work as a team, flexibly, and are very conscious of our work/life balance. We all used to work in the corporate world but took a decision to leave and build a business on our own terms and, so far, its worked. We won a national award last year for our family friendly policies so I will definitely contact Mumsnet to let them know. We've found that our approach has actually attracted talented people (women mostly) to want to come and work here.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Fri 08-Jul-11 15:44:16

i've sent an email.
I'll probably get told i'm not big enough. blush

Dorje Fri 08-Jul-11 15:55:27

We run our own business - a training company - and we actively hired women who have kids - we like the focus, multi tasking, fun, and can do attitude!

IMO there's something about having your fanjo exposed to all and sundry during delivery that just makes people more friendly grin and more willing to take the slack without thinking they're too precious to wash bottles.
Smells like team spirit wink

seedlessgrape Fri 08-Jul-11 16:35:08

I work for a very small company and I have worked for one of the Directors for 22 years. He has seen me through my engagement, my pregnancy and my split up from my ex.

Whilst I was pregnant he allowed me to structure my hours to suit me, ie during the last trimester I would get a train to Waterloo and a taxi to my office (and the reverse route home) - the taxi was paid for. I worked up until a week before my DD was born and went back when she was four months old - for the first month for two days a week then increasing to 3, 4 etc, all at a pace to suit me. I was paid my full pay during my maternity leave.

I have been a single mother for 7 years and during that time I have been able to bring my daughter to the office with me during half terms, Easter, school holidays, etc, or I've been able to work from home if she was ill during term time, etc.

Family friendly or just a company who appreciates its only member of staff? Whatever it is, I will be eternally grateful.

SootySweepandSue Fri 08-Jul-11 18:12:03

My old company had flexitime. You had to work 10-12 and 2-4 (3 on a Friday) then make up the rest of your contracted hours at anytime between 7am and 7pm. The policy was for all staff regardless of if you had kids. Home-working was allowed up to 2 days per week depending on your role. Although I would add this policy caused numerous amount of office problems / politics.

Generally though I would not rate them highly career wise for other reasons and did not even think about returning after ML. sad

But I would like to know of other businesses that do flexitime. It is bloody fantastic - I would forgo salary for this and the flexitime to be honest was what kept me at my job for 5 years when otherwise I would have left (which would have lost me my maternity entitlement).

I have found it impossible to find out about family friendly companies myself.

fiveisanawfullybignumber Sat 09-Jul-11 11:11:40

How hillarious that o2 think they are family friendly. they maybe for some members of staff, but overall their way sucks IMHO. DH works for them, staff are expected to live work and breathe o2. Far too many meetings and get togethers, great for the family members stuck at home! Job insecurity does wonders for morale and an easy homelife too, when they are making record profits.

notevenamousie Sat 09-Jul-11 15:01:48

What about if you work in the public sector? My current NHS trust is amazing compared to anywhere I've worked before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now