Talk

Advanced search

Please please lovely byootiful mnhq, please will you get rid of AIBU?

(175 Posts)
bibbitybobbityhat Fri 24-Jun-11 20:03:29

Not because it brings out the dirty bad sad side of MN.

Not because there are lots of fights.

Not because people use it as an excuse to be foul ("well, this is AIBU - what did you expect sucker?")

Just because it makes us look like a bunch of ignorant cnuts.

Every type of subject under the sun gets posted in AIBU. People have not really grasped the concept/thinking behind it.

So when you get titles like AIBU to ask what is your favourite colour/biscuit/film and other similar general nonsense questions ad infinitum

then

it just makes Mumsnet look like a VERY dumbed-down site indeed.

Thanks.

faintpositive Fri 24-Jun-11 20:07:10

NO!
It the Jeremy Kyle side of the site, its dirty yet intriguing.

Dont take it off, we like Jeremynet

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 24-Jun-11 20:08:15

See?

wimpybar Fri 24-Jun-11 20:08:35

i so agree with you 100% but it'll never 'appen

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 24-Jun-11 20:17:50

Why not?

I think mnhq are big enough to admit they have made mistakes hmm ???

wimpybar Fri 24-Jun-11 20:19:57

it's their most visited area isn't it. when you google mumsnet aibu is the first thing you see

and mn is dumbed down now isn't it. nothing will change that.

shall we start our own site wink

TotalChaos Fri 24-Jun-11 20:20:04

agree but also think it will never happen as AIBU is enormously popular in terms of views etc.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 24-Jun-11 20:21:09

lol wimpy

franke Fri 24-Jun-11 20:21:31

Totally agree with OP. I hid the whole topic some time ago.

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 24-Jun-11 20:24:13

Oh dear wimpy, I have already started a separate side forum for the 100 mates I met on Mumsnet a few years ago. Sorry, didn't I tell you?

hocuspontas Fri 24-Jun-11 20:24:51

Apart from Primary Ed. I think it's the only topic I post on. blush

This is a forum for everyone, not just 'educated' people.

And, I know you didn't ask, but YABU!

BitOfFun Fri 24-Jun-11 20:27:22

The trouble with that is that lots of stuff in Chat makes us look a bit thick too.

wimpybar Fri 24-Jun-11 20:29:21

ha wink

no-one seem to discuss anything much on here anymore. it's all aibu or let's bitch about other mumsnetters

sad really, this time of friday used to be filled with interesting topics to discuss

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 24-Jun-11 20:29:26

Yes, but at least that goes up with a puff of smoke in 3 months. AIBU is here forever.

wimpybar Fri 24-Jun-11 20:30:29

exactly! and aibu has attracted nutters people to post all over the board

hocuspontas Fri 24-Jun-11 20:31:30

Philosophy and Feminism are 2 areas off the top of my head which have some gritty discussions still.

Good point though, how about asking if AIBU can have the same shelf life as Chat?

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 24-Jun-11 20:33:09

Excellent point hocus.

How about that mnhq - 3 month time limit for AIBU?

wimpybar Fri 24-Jun-11 20:35:21

also i've found people who have a different view to the majority on aibu get hounded on so quickly with no chance for them to respond, or want to, after receiving mostly fuck off type comments.

it's killed converstation before it's allowed to start

mylovelymonster Fri 24-Jun-11 20:37:57

YANBU, bibbitybobbity. It has degenerated badly and a lot of what goes on is embarassing and shouldn't be on MN. Makes it look cheap and nasty, and not the haven we all love. It must put a lot of people off coming back. It has changed badly in the last couple years.

mylovelymonster Fri 24-Jun-11 20:39:43

Seems to be elements of bullying often, too - bit of the pack mentality....

FairyArmadillo Fri 24-Jun-11 20:45:15

I just hide AIBU and every now and there tiptoe in. Last time I fled was after I found myself in the middle of a bitchfest about dogs and dog owners. No, just hide it and pretend it doesn't exist.

GreenTeapot Fri 24-Jun-11 20:46:15

I'm sure I remember a time before AIBU. I think it was better back then, but then again in those days Mars bars were bigger, summers were hotter and I still had a pelvic floor.

PaperView Fri 24-Jun-11 20:52:49

i loathe the AIBU section but it does have a redeeming feature.....the entire topic can be hidden and all the plebs who only post there are hidden too.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 24-Jun-11 20:54:53

grin at pelvic floor, ditto GreenTeapot

bibbity We will have a think about this next week when everyone is back in the office, please do continue the discussion.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 24-Jun-11 20:59:49

But think of the poor journalists Bibbity they'd have to do actual real research shock - I used to do my own research, it takes ages. I'd have loved to have a nest of vipers quorum of opinionated readers to copy inspire me.

Also it keeps the more shall we say colourful elements off the more sensitive topics - honestly I'd far rather have the nutters posting their insane rantings there than in say bereavement, pregnancy, parenting etc. Because it's like a car park for the insane - keep them together, out of trouble etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now