Talk

Advanced search

is MN beng phished?

(10 Posts)
AuntieMonica Wed 22-Jun-11 09:47:26

every time i change page on MN this morning, i get a pop-up telling me a site called 'r.skimresources.com' is requesting a user name and password. i can red box or click on cancel and it disappears

i have 4 seperate tabs open, and it's only MN which is affected

is anyone else having this problem, or is it a problem with my 'puter please

<complete luddite/ techno dinosaur btw>

AuntieMonica Wed 22-Jun-11 10:38:16

it's gone now

confused dot com

Redazzy Wed 29-Jun-11 15:53:00

Have had this problem for the last few days on Mumsnet Only. It is really frustrating. Seems to be a profiling thingummy. I really wish it would stop. Anything you can do would be most appreciated.

Redazzy Wed 29-Jun-11 16:02:26

The dialogue box shows the following text together with a username and password login box. It pops up everytime you move to a different page within MN.

'The server t.skimresources.com at mCard requires a username and password.

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection).'

NetworkGuy Wed 29-Jun-11 21:58:14

try a quick visit to skimresources.com

most links entered by posters to websites get converted to go via skimlinks.com so if there is some commission available, it can be used by MN to fund staff, website, etc. Looks like some data was incorrect and thus you were getting prompted for logging in (when that info is presumably meant to be sent from the MN website to skimresources/skimlinks)

DamianTech (MNHQ) Thu 30-Jun-11 09:51:34

Hi all,

Is this mysterious login box still appearing today?

~D

AuntieMonica Thu 30-Jun-11 10:08:45

I haven't had the pop-up since I started this thread.

Our encounter was brief.

wink

Redazzy Thu 30-Jun-11 18:30:42

No nothing today thankfully.

AdamTech (MNHQ) Mon 04-Jul-11 11:09:49

As it's been a few days, is this no longer happening?

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Mon 04-Jul-11 11:12:57

I've not had it recently but I had this exact thing about a month ago, lasted a day then disappeared. Was same box with same wording and only on MN.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now