Talk

Advanced search

Naturespath comp

(27 Posts)
PuzzleRocks Fri 17-Jun-11 09:46:18

I just received an email re the winners and it stated their MN names alongside their RL names. Could you tell me if this is normal because I don't really like the idea of being outed on such a large scale.

Cheers

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 17-Jun-11 09:50:19

crikey, that's not good

BelleEnd Fri 17-Jun-11 09:51:10

I started the same thread in chat. If theres a risk of being outed, I'd rather not take part in competitions.

PuzzleRocks Fri 17-Jun-11 09:53:23

Me neither. Hopefully they will pick up on this soon.

MaryBS Fri 17-Jun-11 09:55:59

I just made a similar point under the "competitions" topic. I agree they should be respecting privacy and not linking real names with MN names

Fimbo Fri 17-Jun-11 10:01:24

I would think it's a mistake by someone at HQ

ReshapeWhileDamp Fri 17-Jun-11 10:32:11

blush Just posted something to this effect on the Comps thread. Should have come here first.

Agree, it was probably a mistake but it's pretty bad for the 5 or 6 MNers named.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-Jun-11 10:59:25

Hello. And shock at this. It should not have happened - and was certainly not something we would knowingly have agreed to when setting up this competition.

We will make some calls and try to find out what's going on.

PuzzleRocks Fri 17-Jun-11 11:01:24

Thanks Helen.

BelleEnd Fri 17-Jun-11 11:53:01

Thank you Helen.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-Jun-11 14:48:26

OK, we have shouted at spoken to Nature's Path and they have asked us to apologise for sending out that mail.

As we posted earlier, it should not have happened - and was certainly not something we would knowingly have agreed to when setting up this - or any other - competition.

We're very sorry about all this.

BelleEnd Fri 17-Jun-11 15:14:53

Thanks Helen. Can all mners have a year's supply of Nature's Path as a gesture of goodwill? grin

Blatherskite Fri 17-Jun-11 16:35:15

It'd take more than a years worth of cereal to make ameds for that one!

shock that they thought that was OK!!

twoistwiceasfun Fri 17-Jun-11 17:03:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blatherskite Fri 17-Jun-11 17:08:38

I've unsubscribed from their newsletters. They say we'll not be contacted again unless we sign up to their newsletter but it still let me unsubscribe from MN Comp. I won't be entering another of their competitions that's for sure!

I would be absolutely livid if I was one of the 5 winners

jimswifein1964 Fri 17-Jun-11 17:43:54

OMg, I just got the email too and came on here to see if it had all kicked off yet. Very glad I didnt win. Will also be unsubscribing, but I know that often, unsubscribes just dont work. Gosh< I'm so relieved it wasnt me, but poor poor winners sad

belledechocchipcookie Fri 17-Jun-11 18:13:42

A couple of those winners were suspect, very similar MN names and no posts. I think MNHQ also needs to look at who is eligible to enter as well as the confidentiality thing.

octopusinabox Fri 17-Jun-11 18:40:01

"A couple of those winners were suspect, very similar MN names and no posts. I think MNHQ also needs to look at who is eligible to enter as well as the confidentiality thing."

I thought that too. Only 1 of the names has any posts at all. 2 of them end in exactly the same way and have similar construct.

belledechocchipcookie Fri 17-Jun-11 18:47:35

That's fairly usual octopus. I rarely enter because I don't recognise any of the winners most of the time. When I search they have no threads hmm Some people must only be on here for the competitions, I wouldn't be surprised if they enter them over and over again to increase their chances of winning.

twoistwiceasfun Fri 17-Jun-11 19:10:52

belledechocchipcookie Fri 17-Jun-11 19:18:09

Maybe, they wouldn't have 2 very similiar usernames with 2 very different 'real life' names though would they?

Blatherskite Fri 17-Jun-11 20:06:50

MN competitions all get advertised on Comp sites now don't they? I remember complaining about it at the time. There will be a lot of "MNers" who only joined for the comps I think you'll find.

belledechocchipcookie Fri 17-Jun-11 20:25:21

It's a bit pointless then, some people must spend all day entering competitions over and over again. There's no chance for us who actually have a life!

Blatherskite Fri 17-Jun-11 20:32:04

MNers must still win now and again - I won one of the copies of the MN rules on the Twitter comp - but it's got to be a smaller number than it used to be now 'Professional' enter-ers are piling in which is sad sad

twoistwiceasfun Fri 17-Jun-11 20:40:34

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now