Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ, what the fuck were you doing...

(46 Posts)
EvenLessNarkyPuffin Mon 06-Jun-11 18:04:42

When this was going on? Seriously? There are obvious trolls and sock puppets on here harassing a vunerable OP. I'm ashamed of you.

FlingonTheValiant Mon 06-Jun-11 19:30:04

What a disgrace angry

PinotGrigiosKittens Tue 07-Jun-11 11:51:19

The post at the end about how the thread will put women off reporting rape shock angry

MNHQ a reply would be nice.

MNHQ angry Can't you be a bit more forceful or something?

BooyHoo Tue 07-Jun-11 11:55:17

i take it the troll posts were reported?

MitchiestInge Tue 07-Jun-11 11:57:48

Yes:

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch. We can certainly see your point of view, however we don't tend to delete posts simply for expressing their opinion, no matter how strong.

We do draw the line at personal attacks though. We appreciate that this thread is highly emotive, and we would ask that you continue to report posts that further raise your concerns.

Best,
Catherine
MNHQ

PinotGrigiosKittens Tue 07-Jun-11 11:59:33

I've reported my post here to prompt a reply from MNHQ.

BooyHoo Tue 07-Jun-11 12:00:06

thanks mitchiest. i didn't want to have to read through all 20 pages to see.

LawrieMarlow Tue 07-Jun-11 12:00:26

Is that really mnhq?

MitchiestInge Tue 07-Jun-11 12:00:55

I started this thread yesterday, hoping for some explanation. My expectations are too high.

MitchiestInge Tue 07-Jun-11 12:01:44

That's a copy and paste from the email I just received lawrie.

CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 07-Jun-11 12:09:16

Hi all, we're so sorry this thread hasn't been posted on earlier. We are aware of this thread and are actually just going through the whole thing now. What we will say is that the supportive comments far outweigh the others, and we're sure the OP is thankful to all of you who've taken the time to post in a thoughtful manner.

If you look down the thread you'll see that we've deleted several posts already, and posted on the thread to encourage people to consider our ethos before posting.

We're sorry if you feel frustrated by this. Allowing free speech is often a mine field in itself.

We'll continue to scan the thread though, and of course look into the posters that are reported to us.

LeninGrad Tue 07-Jun-11 12:12:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

But you don't always allow free speech do you CatherineMumsnet? There seem to be different rules in different circumstances. And that's unfair.

LeninGrad Tue 07-Jun-11 12:14:47

PinotGrigiosKittens Tue 07-Jun-11 12:14:55

I agree, sorry Catherine. The comments about discouraging rape reporting are proof alone that you let this thread go way too far.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Tue 07-Jun-11 12:15:51

I guess they're worried that if Mumsnet forums (which really are the content which drive the business, right?) get a reputation for moderation then they'll lose the niche.

I don't suppose I can bring up the Hide Poster option again, though? That is not even remotely connected to freedom of speech, and would have allowed the OP to 'see' a supportive thread.

MitchiestInge Tue 07-Jun-11 12:17:29

some nod towards freedom from harm when using these boards would be good

those comments are not just a different point of view, they are harmful

LeninGrad Tue 07-Jun-11 12:21:57

CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 07-Jun-11 12:27:49

Mitchiest that's a good point, and we are looking into this and taking on-board everything you say.

We totally accept that every now and then issues come up that challenge our situation at MNHQ.

Please bear with us, we've flagged this thread up to the rest of the team and are currently going through reports.

If you have concerns about any of the posters on that thread so report them.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Tue 07-Jun-11 12:30:28

I completely agree, Mitchiest - i said on the thread that you started in Feminism that i had to hide the original thread after trying to fight for a while, because what those rape apologists were saying was not just that the OP didn't experience what she said she did, but that I, and many many others, also did not by extension.

I'm pregnant, and hormonal, and emotionally vulnerable, and I do realise that is my problem but it is a parenting site after all, and those threads harm me for days afterwards. It's never just about the OP, but about all those other people who are revictimised every time the hate speech or rape apologia is allowed.

Well said Tortoise. I've lurked on the thread, but can't post because it's so close to the bone for me, and some of the comments from the ignorant rape apologists have had me in tears.

TheRhubarb Tue 07-Jun-11 12:34:02

There was a similar thread a while back about an OP who had sex with a dad from her kids school. Because she said no first but then consented with her actions, a lot of people were telling her that she had been raped and should report it. There was a lot of vitroil on that thread too. Makes you wonder about society when women turn against each other on a topic such as this.

karmakameleon Tue 07-Jun-11 12:35:41

I lurked but couldn't post either because it was too upsetting. Freedom of speech is all well and good, and I'm happy to have the "was it really rape?" debate elsewhere, but it wasn't appropriate on a thread that a victim started in order to find support.

TheRhubarb Tue 07-Jun-11 12:36:04

Oh and I reported a thread last night about a 9yr old girl's sexual behaviour. I was worried about the tone of the thread and thought I'd report it just in case. My report actually went to the OP and she replied! How does that work? And yes I've reported posts before so know what to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now