Talk

Advanced search

those threads " anyone know about St Archibalds in LEighton Buzzard" school threads

(6 Posts)
PharoahNuff Mon 06-Jun-11 11:49:29

1. can we have a topic for them - they are dull

2. is everyone happy about people possibly giving very one sided opinions of schools on here? Has anyone ever complained FROm a school? Its a bit kind of, well,.. it makes me feel itchy

JJ Mon 06-Jun-11 17:18:46

I was thinking about this today (read it this morning). I'm very happy to have reviews of schools on here. People are idiots if they take opinions from strangers as the absolute truth but it's possible to get a feel for the school from the positive and negative things people write.

It's a much better place for reviews of schools than school review sites because of the discussion here, the ability to gently prod and find out about the person telling you about it. Eg, I know a woman whose recommendation of just about anything means that I won't like it.

Schools can change quickly and inspections are as only as good as the inspectors. It's like finding out more about a holiday - disregard the bumpf and guidebooks and ask people who have been there!

Northernlurker Mon 06-Jun-11 17:21:23

Why on earth shouldn't people be able to say what they think? As long as it's not libellous but simply fair comment where's the problem? I'm sure the threads are very useful to those asking.

Jajas Mon 06-Jun-11 17:27:15

Oh I love them, I'm currently following the Eton v Harrow with great interest as Xenia has set the cat amongst the pigeons bless her grin!

PharoahNuff Mon 06-Jun-11 20:12:25

im not sure people work out WHEN it is libellous
adn tbh if I were a head or a class teacher and was singled out for criticism online with no chance of feedback Id feel aggrieved

JJ Mon 06-Jun-11 20:26:14

Yes, but then you should email them and they'll remove. A little twitchy about libel, they are... grin

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't single out the teacher at my youngest's son's school who has no degree (at all, so no quals), no industry experience doing what she's teaching and has managed in one of her two (!) classes to not finish even one project in two years? Because I really want to bitch about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now