Talk

Advanced search

Side Bar - Mumsnet Local - Could it be changed to show local message threads?

(6 Posts)
nannynick Tue 17-May-11 17:07:53

In the sidebar under mumsnet local, when I view pages I am being show events coming up in October 2011.

I wonder if changing the Mumsnet Local sidebar element so that it displays the top 3, 4, 5 message threads in the appropriate local talk section would get Local more traffic?
When looking at Mumsnet Local talk pages, the local sidebar could display local events.

Is that possible to try?

Does anyone currently take any notice of that Mumsnet Local events listing on the sidebar of talk pages? What do you think about changing it to list local threads instead - good or bad idea?

nannynick Sun 29-May-11 10:13:05

Bump smile

My mumsnet local section of the page looks like this:

Drama workshops with Perform for the New Year! For children aged 4 – 8 years Next term, Perform children...
Drama workshops with Perform for the New Year! For children aged 4 – 8 years Next term, Perform children...

Dull, dull, and duller. Please can we change it to list message threads rather than events.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-May-11 09:23:12

Thanks nannynick for the suggestion, we will take a look.
Would you mind reporting one of the above local listings so that we can tidy them up please?

Best
MNHQ

nannynick Mon 30-May-11 14:01:58

Thanks for taking a look Rebecca.

Have reported the listing, though they all look legitimate to me as are a listing for a class at each location.

This is why I feel it may be better having local threads instead of local events being shown on the sidebar - then it can encourage people to discuss local matters and local events and thus drive more traffic to the local boards.

nannynick Mon 30-May-11 14:02:39

More traffic to local boards = opportunity to sell ad space to local companies smile

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-May-11 14:07:11

Thanks for reporting, we have moved these to our local directory as they are weekly classes rather than one-off events. This seems to be a fairly common issue, rest assured we are looking at ways in which we can communicate the difference between the two a little better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now