Talk

Advanced search

Firefox blocking Mumsnet, it says it's an attack site!

(12 Posts)
threefeethighandrising Wed 22-Dec-10 11:57:33

My Dad has high security settings on his computer. If I try to go on Mumsnet on his machine, I can see the thread listings, but the forum pages are blocked - it says mumsnet has been reported as an attack site!

The page explaining it www.stopbadware.org/firefox?hl=en-GB&url=http%3A%2 F%2F here says

"This isn't an attack site... or is it?

Every day, thousands of websites are tricked into delivering badware to their visitors. Thousands more are set up specifically for malicious purposes.

Firefox warns you about these "attack sites" so you can avoid them and keep badware off your computer. "

So, is Mumsnet inadvertently spreading "badware" or is Firefox being ridiculously over cautious?

Please help! We're spending Christmas with my folks, and I can't do it without mumsnet! grin

GrizzlyMacDuff Wed 22-Dec-10 12:00:03

i just had something like this, a few minutes ago. it did not block, but it took me to a page that said there was a risk of infection due to some program being run with it, can't remember what (melware or something?) but it can carry a virus. Then took me to a diagnostic page which said MN itself not carrying the infection in the last week.

I was not using firefox either (safari).

something like that, wonder if MNHQ know what it means.

skydance Wed 22-Dec-10 12:01:53

Look in site stuff there's a thread all about it, you can just click on ignore warning, there's no threat, MNHQ are dealing with it and it should all be back to normal soon.

GrizzlyMacDuff Wed 22-Dec-10 12:02:16

is it to do with this do you think?
here

Teaandchristmascakeplease Wed 22-Dec-10 12:48:32

Yes firefox has just done that to me as well angry

I clicked ignore but everytime I try and log into a different thread I am on, the warning comes up again.

Teaandchristmascakeplease Wed 22-Dec-10 12:52:43

You can disable the warnings. I'm thinking of doing so, but then I won't get a warning if I go onto a true website that is a risk. So perhaps I'll only do it temporarily until mumsnet resolve the problem.

The StopBadware site said that you can disable the warnings in firefox:

Yes, but doing so will leave your computer more vulnerable to being infected with badware. If you are willing to accept this risk, you may disable the warnings in the Firefox options/preferences by clicking the Security tab, unchecking “Block reported attack sites,” and clicking OK

Xenia Wed 22-Dec-10 13:15:20

It's just come on today.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 22-Dec-10 13:26:03

It's fine - there's a sticky at the top of active convos explaining it all now.

Xenia Wed 22-Dec-10 18:03:11

What is a sticky and what does active convos mean? Can't see anything and virtually cannot use the site now or it's very slow because of every single other click leading to the issue.

threefeethighandrising Wed 22-Dec-10 18:50:55

YOu get Active Convos when you click on "Active" and if a message has got a sticky it means MNHQ have set it to stay at the top of the list.

mylifewithmangers Wed 22-Dec-10 18:53:44

Seriously Xenia you don't know about Active Convos or Stickies!!! <faints>

Xenia Wed 22-Dec-10 19:22:55

They are just words I've never read, that's all. Anyway it seems to have stopped so that's okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now