Talk

Advanced search

Damaging off-topic comments

(113 Posts)
mranchovy Tue 21-Dec-10 20:34:27

The occasional annoying, irrelevant, off-topic or unhelpful comment is an inevitable feature of internet discussions. However, an increasing number of posts that are actively damaging to the interests of people coming to Mumsnet for help and advice are detracting from the excellent information given in many cases by skilled, qualified and experienced experts in their field.

I ask that Mumsnet should use the discretion witheld in its terms to remove all material posted from the accounts of individuals who repeatedly make such posts, and take steps to prevent any more potentially harmful posts by such individuals.

I am writing this with some regret, partly because I feel some empathy for the individuals who make such posts and wish I could offer them some help that would enable them to participate in online discussion in a more constructive way, and partly because I have an emotional attachment to the concept of free speech. However, in any society that is not an anarchy, freedom must be limited where its exercise impinges on the rights of others. In this case it appears that the interests of many people, over a considerable amount of time have been and are continuing to be harmed by certain individuals exercising the freedom to post on Mumsnet and I assert that this freedom should be removed from those individuals. If you disagree, I would be interested to know why.

shinyshoesandglitterypoos Tue 21-Dec-10 20:35:23

bear

Malkuth Tue 21-Dec-10 20:37:57

Assuming you are talking about poster/s who have an axe to grind about social services and who give incredibly dangerous advice, I completely agree.

southeastastra Tue 21-Dec-10 20:38:13

because mumsnet is unique in that it isn't moderated. can you be more specific about your area of gripe?

southeastastra Tue 21-Dec-10 20:39:08

mn relies on the reporting method so are those posts being reported?

QueenGigantaurofMnet Tue 21-Dec-10 20:39:41

eh? what have i missed now? who has an axe to gring against SS (today)

BitOfFun Tue 21-Dec-10 20:40:03

Just shake it up and down vigorously- it should soon dislodge itself.

Besom Tue 21-Dec-10 20:40:44

Also, where one piece of rubbish advice is given, there are usually ten posters pointing out why it is dangerous nonsense.

cornyPrawnsdefrostJasonDonovan Tue 21-Dec-10 20:40:52

you lost me after annoying

pagwatch Tue 21-Dec-10 20:41:26

grin at bof

JingleBelleDameSansMerci Tue 21-Dec-10 20:41:35

Blimey, it's all going on today... Shame I haven't a bloody clue what it's all about.

cornyPrawnsdefrostJasonDonovan Tue 21-Dec-10 20:42:13

have you seen Inception? Was he awake or asleep at the end?

Malkuth Tue 21-Dec-10 20:42:36

I report them as and when I see them. When people are seeking support about issues that have legal ramifications it is awful to see certain people repeatedly giving misleading and damaging information that could easily make a difficult situation much worse.

QueenGigantaurofMnet Tue 21-Dec-10 20:43:49

sadly we can't just get MNHQ to delete the advice we think is rubbish. however tempting it may be.

you simply have to point out why that course of action would be a bad idea and show reasons why doing it your way properly would be a better idea.

QueenGigantaurofMnet Tue 21-Dec-10 20:44:31

who? where?

scurryfunge Tue 21-Dec-10 20:46:07

I think I know who you are talking about but agree free speech is important. Most people would ignore this poster anyway and there are always plenty of people to point out his lunacy.

mranchovy Tue 21-Dec-10 20:46:46

It's alright thanks shinyshoesandglitterypoos, I'm a big boy now and besides I've got my security blanket with me.

But many people who come to Mumsnet for the first time asking for advice in, say, the Education: Special Needs topic are in a much more vulnerable position and it is for them that I am concerned.

autodidact Tue 21-Dec-10 20:47:56

I don't know what you're talking about so can't say whether I agree with you or not, I'm afraid.

Malkuth Tue 21-Dec-10 20:48:31

When it is not just rubbish advice but harmful, possibly dangerous advice I believe that MNHQ should delete it. Telling people all social workers lie and that you should never talk to them or cooperate is potentially devasting for someone who is already vulnerable.

pagwatch Tue 21-Dec-10 20:48:50

grinat corny

I am hardly ever here in the evening. Is it always this funny/odd?

cornyPrawnsdefrostJasonDonovan Tue 21-Dec-10 20:50:10

No today is a special day

scurryfunge Tue 21-Dec-10 20:50:40

Yes Malkuth, it would be damaging but I think we need to give credit to posters. There are far more people who will openly tell that particular poster they are talking shite.

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Tue 21-Dec-10 20:50:57

he was in a semi-conscious state

cornyPrawnsdefrostJasonDonovan Tue 21-Dec-10 20:52:51

You are asking for it now AF

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Tue 21-Dec-10 20:54:20

oo yes please

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: