Talk

Advanced search

Pls can there be a way to "quote" other posts?

(39 Posts)
BEAUTlFUL Sun 12-Dec-10 14:52:06

Hard to describe... But on other (lesser!) messageboards, you can cut/paste other posts into your post and they appear in different formatting.

Doesn't have to be fancy-schmancy -- one messageboard just allows you to insert a > before the text, and it indents all of it.

It makes it MUCH EASIER to see immediately that you're quoting someone else's words.

It really helps when you want to respond to a previous post, even just 2 or 3 lines of it.

Thank you smile

BEAUTlFUL Sun 12-Dec-10 14:53:04

PS Everything else all seems to be to my satisfaction.

SpringHeeledJack Sun 12-Dec-10 14:53:54

oooh, that's a good idea

DanceInTheDark Sun 12-Dec-10 14:54:52

no no no

Its lazy and its messy and has been asked 10,000 before.

Just copy and paste.

PaisleyLeaf Sun 12-Dec-10 14:56:01

BEAUTIFUL: ^Hard to describe... But on other (lesser!) messageboards, you can cut/paste other posts into your post and they appear in different formatting.

Doesn't have to be fancy-schmancy -- one messageboard just allows you to insert a > before the text, and it indents all of it.

It makes it MUCH EASIER to see immediately that you're quoting someone else's words.

It really helps when you want to respond to a previous post, even just 2 or 3 lines of it.

Thank you^

Disagree

TmiEdward Sun 12-Dec-10 14:56:20

C&P is good enough for me MNHQ.
(Sorry OP!)

walkinginaWUKTERwonderland Sun 12-Dec-10 14:58:36

I don't know. I'm on another forum where it's badly abused.
The same post quoted and quoted and quoted again, sometimes miles long and just 'Agree' added!
Makes following a thread fell like wading through syrup.

Actually, I do know. I'm against it.

BEAUTlFUL Sun 12-Dec-10 14:58:36

I think all this business > < ^ looks messier. Why can't the original text just be indented, all nice and neatly??

And "lazy"?? LOL! This is an internet messageboard where we all sit around on our arses typing all day. Lazy is kind of taken as read.

walkinginaWUKTERwonderland Sun 12-Dec-10 14:59:21

Xposts with PaisleyLeaf grin

ChippingIn Sun 12-Dec-10 15:00:06

I think it would be GOOD, but only if it's kept simple - perhaphs to show up in a different font, nothing too 'loud' anyway.

BEAUTlFUL Sun 12-Dec-10 15:00:33

"The same post quoted and quoted and quoted again, sometimes miles long"

Yes, that I don't like. But why can't we indent text?

BEAUTlFUL Sun 12-Dec-10 15:01:45

<holding up placards> I'm INTENT on my need to INDENT... I'm INTENT on my need to INDENT...

FrostyAndSlippery Sun 12-Dec-10 15:11:07

I think it's a good idea as long as it's something simple that doesn't clutter up the page.

Mind you what I want more is the option to highlight all posts by the OP. or can we already do that?!?

GMajor7SwansASwimming Sun 12-Dec-10 15:14:09

Hard to describe... But on other (lesser!) messageboards, you can cut/paste other posts into your post and they appear in different formatting.

Cut. Paste. Italicise.

SpringHeeledJack Sun 12-Dec-10 15:22:47

'"lazy"?? LOL! This is an internet messageboard where we all sit around on our arses typing all day. Lazy is kind of taken as read.'

hee hee hee

TmiEdward Sun 12-Dec-10 15:26:46

Frosty, yes you can highlight all OP posts. I've got it. Not sure how though!! Try options on My Mumsnet.

UnpureAsTheDrivenSHOW Sun 12-Dec-10 15:37:30

All my op posts are highlighted. Probably in customise.

No to quotes. They are unwieldy and annoying. We can read what people have already written. It ruins the flow. Just c&p and italicise.

I still want a Friday Night Topic.

UnpureAsTheDrivenSHOW Sun 12-Dec-10 15:38:48

Yes, it's in customise, just checked.

The quote thing has been asked about before, along with hiding posters and avatars. It's always a no.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 12-Dec-10 16:14:16

TBH if you are wanting to cut n paste/quote then your argument is lost

HTH

NetworkGuy Mon 13-Dec-10 17:08:08

I'm on another forum where it's badly abused.

Yes, some have had to add rules about not quoting whole posts, and people often seem incapable of 'trimming' down to the essentials of some other post, so they only quote some significant piece(s).

Others do that silly e-mail thing of writing their response before the item they are quoting (have not seen it here, so far, so perhaps the regular miscreants limit it to their e-mails, so we are being spared that idiocy).

TheYuleLogLady Mon 13-Dec-10 17:12:12

no it looks fecking horrible.

long lists of the same post over and over in fancy italics and flashing, sparkling and bouncing ends up like this....

^BEAUTlFUL Sun 12-Dec-10 14:52:06

Thank you

Add message | Report | Message poster BEAUTlFUL Sun 12-Dec-10 14:53:04
PS Everything else all seems to be to my satisfaction.

Add message | Report | Message poster SpringHeeledJack Sun 12-Dec-10 14:53:54
oooh, that's a good idea

Add message | Report | Message poster DanceInTheDark Sun 12-Dec-10 14:54:52
no no no

Its lazy and its messy and has been asked 10,000 before.

Just copy and paste.

Add message | Report | Message poster PaisleyLeaf Sun 12-Dec-10 14:56:01
BEAUTIFUL: ^Hard to describe... But on other (lesser!) messageboards, you can cut/paste other posts into your post and they appear in different formatting.

Thank you^

Disagree

Add message | Report | Message poster TmiEdward Sun 12-Dec-10 14:56:20
C&P is good enough for me MNHQ.
(Sorry OP!)

Add message | Report | Message poster walkinginaWUKTERwonderland Sun 12-Dec-10 14:58:36
I don't know. I'm on another forum where it's badly abused.
The same post quoted and quoted and quoted again, sometimes miles long and just 'Agree' added!
Makes following a thread fell like wading through syrup.

Actually, I do know. I'm against it.

Add message | Report | Message poster BEAUTlFUL Sun 12-Dec-10 14:58:36
I think all this business > < ^ looks messier. Why can't the original text just be indented, all nice and neatly??

And "lazy"?? LOL! This is an internet messageboard where we all sit around on our arses typing all day. Lazy is kind of taken as read.

Add message | Report | Message poster walkinginaWUKTERwonderland Sun 12-Dec-10 14:59:21
Xposts with PaisleyLeaf

Add message | Report | Message poster ChippingIn Sun 12-Dec-10 15:00:06
I think it would be GOOD, but only if it's kept simple - perhaphs to show up in a different font, nothing too 'loud' anyway.

Add message | Report | Message poster BEAUTlFUL Sun 12-Dec-10 15:00:33
"The same post quoted and quoted and quoted again, sometimes miles long"

Yes, that I don't like. But why can't we indent text?

Add message | Report | Message poster BEAUTlFUL Sun 12-Dec-10 15:01:45
<holding up placards> I'm INTENT on my need to INDENT... I'm INTENT on my need to INDENT...

Add message | Report | Message poster FrostyAndSlippery Sun 12-Dec-10 15:11:07
I think it's a good idea as long as it's something simple that doesn't clutter up the page.

Mind you what I want more is the option to highlight all posts by the OP. or can we already do that?!?

Add message | Report | Message poster GMajor7SwansASwimming Sun 12-Dec-10 15:14:09

Cut. Paste. Italicise.

Add message | Report | Message poster SpringHeeledJack Sun 12-Dec-10 15:22:47
'"lazy"?? LOL! This is an internet messageboard where we all sit around on our arses typing all day. Lazy is kind of taken as read.'

hee hee hee

Add message | Report | Message poster TmiEdward Sun 12-Dec-10 15:26:46
Frosty, yes you can highlight all OP posts. I've got it. Not sure how though!! Try options on My Mumsnet.

Add message | Report | Message poster UnpureAsTheDrivenSHOW Sun 12-Dec-10 15:37:30
All my op posts are highlighted. Probably in customise.

No to quotes. They are unwieldy and annoying. We can read what people have already written. It ruins the flow. Just c&p and italicise.

I still want a Friday Night Topic.

Add message | Report | Message poster UnpureAsTheDrivenSHOW Sun 12-Dec-10 15:38:48
Yes, it's in customise, just checked.

The quote thing has been asked about before, along with hiding posters and avatars. It's always a no.

Add message | Report | Message poster BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 12-Dec-10 16:14:16
TBH if you are wanting to cut n paste/quote then your argument is lost

HTH

Add message | Report | Message poster NetworkGuy Mon 13-Dec-10 17:08:08
I'm on another forum where it's badly abused.

Yes, some have had to add rules about not quoting whole posts, and people often seem incapable of 'trimming' down to the essentials of some other post, so they only quote some significant piece(s).

Others do that silly e-mail thing of writing their response before the item they are quoting (have not seen it here, so far, so perhaps the regular miscreants limit it to their e-mails, so we are being spared that idiocy).^

pages of bollocks with a single original sentence at the bottom.

No. No and thrice No.

Slubberdegullion Mon 13-Dec-10 17:13:35

no thank you

Can't stand it on the other forum I'm on. Great big massive posts with quotes being quoted and being re quoted all over the shop. Is tiresome in the extreme wading through them all to get the singular line of most recent post.

SummerRain Mon 13-Dec-10 17:17:22

GMajor... hard to italicise if the quote is long though as you have to do it word by word... maybe Tech could alter the italicise function so we can do whole sentances in on go?

What i really need want is an edit button... even one that times out after 5 mins would be fine. So often i read and re read a post and it looks fine and as soon as i pot it i spot 20 really stupid spelling mistakes and it really drives me mad.

And yes, i know i can preview but i just never remember to press that button instead of post, especially on short posts.

SummerRain Mon 13-Dec-10 17:18:46

see ^^^ angry

I can see them all now!

TrillianAstra Mon 13-Dec-10 17:22:45

Not having a button means that you have to think about which bit you want to c&p and encourages people to restrict it to just the relevant part of a post.

You can italicise whole sentences/pragraphs just with before and after the whole chunk. That's already been done. No need to do it word by word.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: