Talk

Advanced search

MN input boxes inserting a space...

(10 Posts)
NetworkGuy Thu 09-Dec-10 00:33:40

I was trying to send a link to someone (message a poster) but afterwards noted a space had been inserted, so the link went off to some other page.

Is there some 'shorthand' way to post a link to MN threads, such that the lengthy version can be sidestepped ... something like

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?view=945044

so that there's no need for a very long web link and that would avoid the space being inserted...

DeckTheIceWithDragonsAndHolly Thu 09-Dec-10 00:35:38

or failing that maybe they could fix the time space continum that causes random spaces to be added all over the place and can be annoying even when not doing a link.

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Thu 09-Dec-10 00:38:33

Are you typing the link in 'longhand', or using copy-and-paste?

ItsAHollyJollyTee Thu 09-Dec-10 01:14:00

Why don't you just use TinyURL or similar?

Although Dragon's suggestion would be even better!

DeckTheIceWithDragonsAndHolly Thu 09-Dec-10 01:21:14

Although there are going to be some very confused posters as the time continum threads have disappeard out of chat.

NetworkGuy Thu 09-Dec-10 09:48:57

It was copy and paste. PCATT. Love the 'time space continuum' comment DTIWDAH - yes, it does hit lots of things annoyingly...

Normally I do, IAHJT, but it was after a long day, and I thought someone at MNHQ might accept that it's an oddity that hits links over a particular length and some systems have an alternative which can work.

Incidentally I did find this works too... ( http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/other/945044 )

NB you can substitute any short topic in place of 'other' - so /food/ /cars/ /sleep/ would work too, if you wanted to confuse someone hovering over the link to see which part of MN it was in...

I may adopt the 'other' method for MN links in future... I feel bad putting extra workload on tinyurl.com to make up for an MN board 'issue' !

AdamTech (MNHQ) Thu 09-Dec-10 10:03:27

Hi NetworkGuy,

This is a known problem which we're looking at fixing.

NetworkGuy Thu 09-Dec-10 10:52:05

Thanks. Response in that direction very much appreciated.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 09-Dec-10 18:20:24

I'm no tech but you can use just the bit up to and inc the numbers eg www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/1101386

does that help?

NetworkGuy Fri 10-Dec-10 09:54:30

Thanks. Not 100% sure on the 'rules' being used to insert the space, but in my original the topic area was /employment_issues/ and when I pasted that in, with thread [I assume] number 945044 the 945044 was split in half and the link was shown in the message as

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/employment_issues/945 space 044...

It is why I suggested using a short name for the topic area, such as /other/ or whatever, to ensure the length of the web link was that extra bit shorter, just in case.

I could have tested different options but at the time I had the problem, it was after midnight and I had had a number of long (18+) hour days in a row, so went with what I could be sure of working, when I posted in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now