Talk

Advanced search

I have a suggestion - stop deleting threads.

(17 Posts)
HecateQueenOfWitches Sun 21-Nov-10 08:43:27

Instead, why not delete all content on the thread. Replace it with a message explaining why the thread content has been deleted and lock the thread so that no messages can be added.

This will keep the thread on people's threads I'm on, so if someone's contributed to a thread they know what's gone on. It will stop the endless spin off 'why was this thread deleted' and most importantly - mnhq explain their reasons. People like to know why something has gone poooof!

what do you think?

purepurple Sun 21-Nov-10 08:44:49

Very good idea.

Ealingkate Sun 21-Nov-10 08:45:07

Sounds like a good idea

StealthPomBear Sun 21-Nov-10 08:51:21

I think it's an excellent idea but doubt they will go for it. I don't see why though - any libellous stuff could be deleted as a post rather than the entire thread.
Suppose the only reason to delete a thread in its entirety is if the OP is being deleted.

savoycabbage Sun 21-Nov-10 08:52:22

Good plan.

Ilythia Sun 21-Nov-10 09:02:16

OH veyr good plan, and would solve that highly irritating 'clicking on a thread title to find it has vanished' thing where you are left bemused.

Explanation could be simple as well like 'personal attack', 'suspected troll', 'OP requested deletion' sort of thing.

MollieO Sun 21-Nov-10 09:36:23

Excellent idea and will stop a thread being started about a thread that has been deleted.

AntonDuBurk Sun 21-Nov-10 09:39:03

I completely agree. Think I may have suggested the same thing once. Great minds and all that smile

DanceInTheDark Sun 21-Nov-10 09:52:13

I think it's a great idea. In fact I have suggested the locking threads thing a few times.

2shoes Sun 21-Nov-10 10:04:20

good idea
that way if you have missed the thread, you at least know what other people are talking about

Tee2072 Sun 21-Nov-10 11:32:24

It's an excellent idea. Especially the locking threads part.

Kaloki Sun 21-Nov-10 16:36:22

It should be easier to lock a thread and add a message saying "closed because.." possibly with a note that any threads about the closed thread will be deleted.

Works on most other forums.

thumbwitch Sun 21-Nov-10 16:39:03

What an excellent idea! I agree, it's v. annoying when you don't know what happened to a thread or why.

Also like the idea of locking threads with a "Closed due to..." message - very good plan.

StealthPomBear Sun 21-Nov-10 20:44:02

actually I've been thinking and won't we just get an influx of "for anyone wanting to carry on the ... thread discussions" threads?
Not saying that's a bad thing (I'd probabyl be starting them) but we'd just end up with those threads locked or deleted, and it would end up a farce with a thread entitled "Who's your favourite Take That member?" cunningly disguising a bitchfest.

Kaloki Sun 21-Nov-10 21:10:10

We get that anyway Stealth. Alongside the "where did the thread go?" threads.

StealthPomBear Sun 21-Nov-10 22:07:22

i know but in this case the original posts will be there to pick over

ItalianLady Mon 22-Nov-10 18:38:39

Brilliant idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now