Talk

Advanced search

What's the policy on quoting threads elsewhere?

(5 Posts)
SparklingExplosionGoldBrass Mon 08-Nov-10 17:34:38

I've been commissioned to write an article - not about MN but about a topic which was recently discussed in some detail on MN. What would be the etiquette/policy/rules on quoting any posts from the thread in the article?
BTW according to my understanding of 'fair dealing' WRT copyright law, it's legally OK to quote small parts of anyone's posts anywhere as long as they are attributed. But I thought I would ask first... HOwever 'Bwaaah! How dare you? You can't' isn;t strictly true...

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 09-Nov-10 12:40:47

Hello SparklingExplosionGoldBrass <belatedly admires Bonfire Name>

Yes, it's fine to quote small parts of posts and mention you found them on MN.

Depending on the context of the article, it may be best (more politic/tactful etc) to avoid attributing quotes to specific MN nicknames but, obviously, if your editor requires you to attribute, that's fine.

Good luck with it!

SparklingExplosionGoldBrass Tue 09-Nov-10 20:54:59

It will probably mention MN in very general terms TBH, but if I find a specific really good comment what I might do is PM the poster and ask if s/he minds.
(To put people's minds at rest, the subject is male/female sexuality in the light of Stephen Fry's comments...)
Thanks Helen.

NetworkGuy Wed 10-Nov-10 11:40:30

Hmmm, maybe I should come out from under my rock - do you mean Stephen Fry made some important comments or were they clearly binnable ravings of a (clever) nutter ?

I quite like him on QI, but then again, with a team of researchers (perhaps!) behind the scenes, it may be an ego boosting thing for him. I did go to look up 'polymath' today, just to be sure of its roots, so that's one useful thing related to SF (since I don't bother to 'follow' people on Twitter and definitely do not buy (auto)biographies, so ignore their exploits / views, most of the time).

SparklingExplosionGoldBrass Wed 10-Nov-10 16:03:29

Stephen Fry was talking rubbish, but he's not the only one to believe sexist rubbish.
As it happens, the piece is done and sent in by now with no direct MN quoting at all, just a mention of 'some threads on popular parenting forum Mumsnet show that...'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now