Talk

Advanced search

Is there a rule on profanities in thread titles? Or not?

(15 Posts)
GunpowderTreasonAndSNOTSleeves Fri 05-Nov-10 15:11:12

I asked this question several days ago but no ciar

so I'm trying again

Is the word "cunt" allowed in thread titles, or will threads featuring it be deleted?

Why was my thread wontaining this word deleted almost immediately, while the thread posted shortly afterwards is still there?

If there is a rule banning the word in thread titles, why is it not consistently enforced?

If no such rule exists, why was my thread deleted without explanation, and why was my precious query ignored?

NB: this is not a thread for debating whether or not the word SHOULD be allowed in thread titles or not.

rebeccamumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 05-Nov-10 15:20:57

Hi Green, <ahem> newbie to the towers here <waves>

I just wanted to post so that you know this is in hand. Not yet been awarded my full MNHQ 5* site stuff badge as yet, but will post when I have had a chat with those who have.

Rebecca

AmbleInAnnBoleyn Fri 05-Nov-10 15:30:27

oooooooooooooh fresh meat

<slavers>

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 05-Nov-10 15:39:56

Well the short answer is... it depends. There is no hard and fast rule but we tend to delete things that we feel are beyond the pale or are a personal attack. See our netiquette page for further explanation. Your thread title fell into the former category.

Apologies if we've failed to respond to previous query - we do try to get to everyone but occasionally we miss one (or two).

GunpowderTreasonAndSNOTSleeves Fri 05-Nov-10 15:43:32

ah I see

so it is allowed, but not if I post it

thanks hmm

GunpowderTreasonAndSNOTSleeves Fri 05-Nov-10 16:22:24

I think this is quite shabby tbh

For a start it is usual to offer an explanation when a thread is deleted, particularly if the OP posts requesting one

I am aware that my sense of humour is a little extreme sometimes and not everyone's cup of tea - but I am certainly not alone in that, neither am I the only poster to use the dreaded C-word in thread titles - there is a thread still present referring to somebody as "the cunt bucket in the 4x4" for example, and another entitled "CUNT cunt CUNTY CUNTING"

Presumably I am not suspected of being a troll, as I have been here for over four years hmm

I think this is personal and I not happy about it.

GunpowderTreasonAndSNOTSleeves Fri 05-Nov-10 17:25:16

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 05-Nov-10 18:01:39

Hi GunpowderTreasonAndSNOTSleeves
No we don't routinely write to people when we delete threads - we just don't have the resources - and we do delete quite a lot of C-word thread titles, so please don't take it personally!

NetworkGuy Sat 06-Nov-10 09:45:14

This isn't prudery on my part, as I could 'swear like a troopper' but generally don't (inexcusable in office environments where I have worked), and even if Lee Mack can get away with swearing throughout a show on TV (for older readers, Dave Allen did so too, when seen live, rather than on TV), I rarely swear.

I have to admit that in environments where it is 'accepted' or 'commonplace', can find it easy to do (on MN, for example) !

NetworkGuy Sat 06-Nov-10 09:49:51

Ooops - I had typed a bit more - suggesting it would make far more sense to simply ban profanities in thread titles and not leave it to whims subjective views depending on which member of MNHQ staff saw a title.

If it was simply banned there would be no question over the matter. Now, do you have some way of noting when a visitor returns to MN and needs to be notified of 'news' such as a change of terms and conditions...

If not, do, please, develop one, and in the meantime, start warning posters that thread titles are not the place for 'bad language'...

MmeLindt Sat 06-Nov-10 09:57:52

I agree with NG.

If it were banned completely then there would be none of the "Why was my thread banned and that one wasn't?".

I also think that the first "Cunting Sainsburys" thread was funny but it has lost it's shock value and is just not funny anymore.

Sorry you were upset about it though, Greeny. I do think that it is not good to have different rules for some threads and some for others. Obviously it is going to cause upset.

NetworkGuy Sat 06-Nov-10 10:17:20

"ah I see
so it is allowed, but not if I post it"

is clearly NOT what was indicated.

I am only slightly curious as to what the thread title had been, but having read a portion of the other thread, have to conclude that when your sense of humour kicks in for thread titles they are simply pushed "beyond the pale" and MNHQ staff have seen fit to delete them.

I'm not in favour of censorship and would probably not condemn anyone if they felt very strongly and decided to swear, but I suspect you feel it is a "personal" attack and somehow even took a simple explanation as meaning something it wasn't.

GunpowderTreasonAndSNOTSleeves Sun 07-Nov-10 13:53:15

I posted the deleted thread in reaction to the "aibu to dump my dp because he has a small willy" one

not to shock as such, but to highlight that that sort of shallow attitude to relationships looks more unaccptable when it's a man talking about a woman's physical shortcomings

is "cunt" only OK when we are using it to mean "odious", rather than "female genitals"?

seems wonky to me

DanceInTheDark Sun 07-Nov-10 21:59:49

It needs to be either allowed, or not.

I did post a thread in AIBU in response to Greeny's other query and its still there. WHich kind of proves the point being made.

NetworkGuy Tue 09-Nov-10 13:59:41

DITD - which point - I see more than one

a) that there may be some (unhelpful) flexibility in allowing profanities sometimes

b) that there's a perception any thread started by GTASNOTSleeves gets zapped if it has the c-word in the thread title

Not knowing which thread you posted, I can imagine that if it included the c-word but wasn't zapped, it proved only (a) and not (b) because context is also important, and without wanting to know the exact title, there's some suggestion that MNHQ don't have the same sense of humour, so strike out threads leading to suspicion (b).

Personally I try not to use 'cunt' in any circumstances, as it is unwelcome in most situations, whether other people are male or female, at least in with my acquaintances and friends.

It is certainly regarded with more dislike than 'fuck' in all circles of mine.

Simple question, GTASNOTSleeves, is whether you'd object to it (and other profanities) being banned from thread titles entirely ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now