Talk

Advanced search

This new secret topic...

(31 Posts)
BitOfFun Fri 01-Oct-10 00:15:10

I get that it's not searchable. But I have clicked on the topic, and it seems that there are threads which people have mysteriously posted on in that topic which don't show up as threads when you look for them under the section as a whole either.

What's going on?

caramelwaffle Fri 01-Oct-10 00:35:26

<nosey emoticom>

or

<curious emoticom>................

caramelwaffle Fri 01-Oct-10 00:36:44

<taps foot awaiting answer emoticom>

Valpollicella Fri 01-Oct-10 00:45:43

How do you mean BoF? <baffled> LIke you know the thread is there but you can;t see it?

BitOfFun Fri 01-Oct-10 00:49:15

Exactly.

Valpollicella Fri 01-Oct-10 00:53:57

Intriguing...what do you think you can;t see? Can I check for you in MN's absence?

BitOfFun Fri 01-Oct-10 00:57:50

Good idea. I will check.

BitOfFun Fri 01-Oct-10 01:01:15

From what I remember, ShineOnCrazyDiamond mentioned that she had posted on one yesterday. But I can't see it.

DanceInTheDark Fri 01-Oct-10 14:44:34

are they linkable? can you post a link elsewhere to a topic on OTBT?

neytiri Tue 05-Oct-10 13:22:28

i think i have just inadvertently found secret mn! was using advanced search, a thread came up in the list, under topic 'off the beaten track', but the thread title is [private message]. thread doesn't come up when you go to the 'otbt' page, so where is it hidden?? confused

i know there's more than that hidden, as the word i was searching came up next to a mnetters posting name, so i searched for posts by that poster (only over the last 2 days) and there are quite a few posts on the hidden thread all saying [private message], but you can't, or at least i can't access the thread as when you click on the title, it just goes to the 'otbt' page.

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 05-Oct-10 13:23:34

oooh narnia

StealthPolarBear Tue 05-Oct-10 13:28:27

i still hvaen't found out why sometimes they show up in Active Conversations and sometimes not, either

Francagoestohollywood Tue 05-Oct-10 13:30:47

Spooky

I can see them. And post should I choose <magic>

neytiri Tue 05-Oct-10 13:34:44

until today, i didn't even know there was an 'otbt' topic!

can post on other threads in there, but not this private message one. wonder if i can link?

Rockbird Tue 05-Oct-10 13:37:02

where is off the beaten track??

neytiri Tue 05-Oct-10 13:43:28

ok, someone else try this, go to advanced search, search for the word troll, leaving the other 2 boxes blank. set the dates from and to, both to yesterdays date, click 'search all' for topics. i am getting 126 discussions have messages, scroll down the list, and in between living overseas and post natal clubs, there is a thread with 1 post on it in the 'otbt' but it says [private thread], and the post says [message within private thread].

or is it just me?? apologies to the mnetter who has made the post i'm finding, not meaning to single you out or anything but just mystified as to where this private thread is!

Francagoestohollywood Tue 05-Oct-10 13:45:32

Oh yes, bizarre

ShowOfHands Tue 05-Oct-10 13:46:50

neytiri, that's the shiney thread.

Maybe you can't just click through from search. You can still open it from the topic though.

Oooooh! <intrigued>

neytiri Tue 05-Oct-10 13:49:00

ah, is it!, wonder why it comes up in search as private, weird. mystery solved! thanks, soh grin

neytiri Tue 05-Oct-10 13:49:51

<slightly disappointed to have not discovered a new mn narnia> wink

ShowOfHands Tue 05-Oct-10 13:59:05

The last MN narnia caused enormous problems. Don't wish for it again.

PlumBumMum Tue 05-Oct-10 14:02:18

I've never seen any OTBT threads, well actually one but that was because I posted on a thread and then the OP moved it to there, How do I find them?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Oct-10 14:06:14

Hello, all you conspiracy theorists!

Sorry to disappoint but it's more of a Techie glitch than a second Narnia sitch..

Basically, posts in Off the Beaten Track shouldn't be searchable - but some are coming up in Advanced Search.

And, because they're not meant to be searchable, nothing happens when you click on them from your Advanced Search results.

We'll alert the Techs to the glitch and try to get it sorted ASAP...

neytiri: that [private message] was actually a post on an Off the Beaten Track thread - rather than an actual private message, iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now